can you add sand ?????????????

garydm

Reefing newb
The reason I ask is through my battle with cyno and then these purple sponge things and each time I suck out these pests it takes a little sand with it.....well over time in problem spots it has thinned out.......so question is can I add sand to the low areas or can I blanket the whole tank with a coat of new sand..

You can add new sand. I would just add a bit at a time and not cover the entire sand bed. This gives the new sand time to grow good bacteria and everything.

I'd just dump a cup or so out every 2-3 days until you have added all your desired sand. Just dump it there and let the powerheads/current slowly push it flat.

Heres a little tip on adding new sand.
Buy the dry sand since theres no need to pay for something that may or may not be there.Then rinse out what you plan to add real good.Once its rinsed,place it in a zip-lock baggie,Submerge the baggie in the tank and slowly inch the new sand out in the desired location.That way you dont end up with sand all over your rock.

Thanks...when you say rinse can I do that at the sink or do I do that with my ro-di water...or does it matter

I rinsed mine out with the water hose outside.
For some odd reason,the wife dont like sand her sink or bathtub:shock: :D

My sand took a LOT of rinsing. But it paid off because my water doesn't cloud up if it's stirred up. If you'r ejust doing a cup at a time, just put in water, sift it, pour out, and keep repeating until the water stays relatively clear or at least doesn't stay clouded up too much. It wouldn't hurt to turn off the power heads, too, while you're doing this ;)

I usually take a piece of PVC and slide the sand down to where I want it. Kind of takes care of the dust storm that might come otherwise.

Then I'd have to try to explain to her why I think her skin needs to be exfolliated:shock:
I might be crazy,but I aint stupid:mrgreen:

Exactly, things can get out of control quickly when you start talking beauty products with the wife.

Back