Can you correlate algae growth with trates?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've read that even in a zero trate tank, algae can grow out of rocks that have too much detritus stuck in the rock's holes. I have this problem in my tank. But aside form that scenario, does algae growth always follow trates? Does algae growth and trates always rise toghether? In a tank with zero trates and no crud stuck in the rocks, there should always be no algae, true? (I have algae-phobia).

I'll put it this way.
My has 0 trates and a photometer showed 0 phosphates.But I got some turf algae in spots growing on the rock.No big deal cause my tangs keep it cropped back pretty good.
Your not going to completely get rid of algae in a reef tank.If you've got water and light your gonna get algae.The key is being able to control it.

yes, algae growth and nitrates are correlated. there are specific types of algae which yote spoke of known as turf algaes and a few other types which thrive in low nutrient environments. coralline algae is still an algae which throws in low nutrients, as it takes in calcium, so you could consider that an exception as well... HOWEVER in general, and increase in nitrates and phosphates results in an increase in algae.

my philosophy has always been that everything in your tank wants to be at 0.... ammonia builds up, bacteria eats it. nitrates build up, algae grows to consume it, and so on...

lots of philosophical questions comin' from you ;) :P

Also, you can have zero nitrate and phosphate readings in your tank if the nitrates and phosphates get consumed as soon as they hit the water column. Which is often the case with phosphates. Phosphates stay in the water an average of 7 seconds before they are consumed by algae. So if you have enough algae consuming it, it can appear that you don't have a nitrate or phosphate problem when in actuality you really do.

yes, algae growth and nitrates are correlated. there are specific types of algae which yote spoke of known as turf algaes and a few other types which thrive in low nutrient environments. coralline algae is still an algae which throws in low nutrients, as it takes in calcium, so you could consider that an exception as well... HOWEVER in general, and increase in nitrates and phosphates results in an increase in algae.

my philosophy has always been that everything in your tank wants to be at 0.... ammonia builds up, bacteria eats it. nitrates build up, algae grows to consume it, and so on...

lots of philosophical questions comin' from you ;) :P

Yeah, I have a degree in Philo.

Back