Can you correlate algae growth with trates?

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by sen5241b, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sen5241b

sen5241b

I've read that even in a zero trate tank, algae can grow out of rocks that have too much detritus stuck in the rock's holes. I have this problem in my tank. But aside form that scenario, does algae growth always follow trates? Does algae growth and trates always rise toghether? In a tank with zero trates and no crud stuck in the rocks, there should always be no algae, true? (I have algae-phobia).

sen5241b, Jul 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. sen5241b

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I'll put it this way.
    My has 0 trates and a photometer showed 0 phosphates.But I got some turf algae in spots growing on the rock.No big deal cause my tangs keep it cropped back pretty good.
    Your not going to completely get rid of algae in a reef tank.If you've got water and light your gonna get algae.The key is being able to control it.

yote, Jul 24, 2009
    sen5241b likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. sen5241b

ndepratt Equipment Junkie

yes, algae growth and nitrates are correlated. there are specific types of algae which yote spoke of known as turf algaes and a few other types which thrive in low nutrient environments. coralline algae is still an algae which throws in low nutrients, as it takes in calcium, so you could consider that an exception as well... HOWEVER in general, and increase in nitrates and phosphates results in an increase in algae.

my philosophy has always been that everything in your tank wants to be at 0.... ammonia builds up, bacteria eats it. nitrates build up, algae grows to consume it, and so on...

lots of philosophical questions comin' from you ;) :p

ndepratt, Jul 24, 2009
    sen5241b likes this.
  4. sen5241b

Bifferwine I am a girl

Also, you can have zero nitrate and phosphate readings in your tank if the nitrates and phosphates get consumed as soon as they hit the water column. Which is often the case with phosphates. Phosphates stay in the water an average of 7 seconds before they are consumed by algae. So if you have enough algae consuming it, it can appear that you don't have a nitrate or phosphate problem when in actuality you really do.

Bifferwine, Jul 24, 2009
  5. sen5241b

Melosu58

This is what I`m thinking also. Algea is like fire to me. There has to be something fueling it. Here ia a 10 step battle plan for algea. It gives you some of the fueling factors.

Melosu58, Jul 24, 2009
    sen5241b likes this.
  6. sen5241b

sen5241b

Yeah, I have a degree in Philo.

sen5241b, Jul 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question