can you have to much light

daugherty

part time reefer
i am just womdering if you can have to much light on a tank i have four 96watt pc's and one 175 MH on a 50 gal tank is this a little over kill???

10w per gallon. Pretty high. You should be able to grow SPS like crazy in there.

Is it too much? I don't know. Do you have corals in there now? How are they doing? If you don't have any corals now, I'd recommend putting a couple zoas down low under some shade and move them out into the light after a week or two. See how they react.

For SPS corals and anemones,No its not to much.
But you'll have to acclimate them to your lights or you'll bleach them.
like Rc said,start them in the shade and move them out and up over a couple of weeks.

I have a couple zoas a cabage coral and xenia a colt coral and they all seem to be doing great. i also have a see apple. and one other coral that i do not know what it is it looks like a white carnation.

Just keep an eye on it.And watch the water temp,with that much light it will easy to over heat the tank.

As long as your not having heat issues and don't mine the added cost of electricity then you don't have to much light.

Watch out for the sea apple.Don't let it die and release toxins into the water.

yes just a couple of years ago it got really hot outside and i did not have air conditiong and my tank hit over a hundred but now i have air and the tank so far has not got very hot at all.

the sun is pretty hot and that is what we are trying to duplicate with our lighting. that being said, corals can be found down quite far in the ocean and grow great because of their specific lighting requirements. for your SPS and nems, they will be great. LPS should be fine half way down on the rocks. soft corals will need to be on the bottom of the tank and mushrooms will need to be shaded tho. they will shrivel up and die with that much light

-Doc

I am way to chicken chit to have a sea apple.............you must need shades around that tank!!!! I'm running 4X39 + 2X21 in a 46G and I cant imagine alot brighter. It sits right in our living room and can be annoying trying to watch tv at night.

Back