Candy Cane coral question

lawtchan

Reefing newb
My candy cane coral is blanched white on the top.

Is it too close to the light source, same thing for another coral, its pink branches have turned white. ?

It's about 6 inches away from 150w MH

MH is a strong bulb and those are both soft corals... How long have they been their? I would be more afraid of heat than over light exposer. What are you water parameters?

Hawks i remember you candy cane being pretty damn white too and yours is at the bottom of your tank. Shouldnt be a bad thing right?

LPS which is the type of coral the candy cane is, does not require lots of light. I would move it down to the middle or bottom of you tank. It does sound to me that it is bleaching out.

How old are your MH bulbs and what is the K rating? and do you run actinics as well?

Old bulbs and no actinics can also cause issues with your corals.

I agree with Winy, move it down lower... You can buy "white" candy canes that are naturally that way, but if yours didn't start off white, then you've got a problem.

I would move them lower also.I have some trumpets that were bleaching under my T5 so I move them lower.They now have more brown in there tissue.Candy cane and trumpets don't need intense lighting.Since it sounds like they are expelling there zooanthellae,I would help them even more by feeding them cyclops,zooplankton when the lights are out and you can see the feeder tentacles.

Winy,Biff,and Reefs got you pretty well covered.
I wouldnt put any corals 6 inches from halides.I wouldnt even have a halide that close to the water surface.One decent splash could cost you an expensive bulb,and big clean up job removing glass from your tank.

Back