Canister Filter Installation

Nick

Reefing newb
In an effort to get my tank to thrive and not just survive, I purchased a canister filter.

I want to get some feedback before installing it; specifically on the media to use within the canister.

The filter came with activated carbon, ceramic disks and bio balls. I like to use chemi pure in my current filter.

The instructions indicate that the activated carbon, bio balls and ceramic disks are all optional. So, with 4 media trays, I'd like to hear from canister filter users about:

What media they like to use AND the order that they use them.

Any other guidance is appreciated.

Nick

Nick - i have a canister attached to a 8 gallon nano.
I have a lot of live rock in my tank so i don't really need or want to have the biological filtering from the canister (i.e. convert ammonia to nitrates).

I have 2 fish (clown and watchman goby), inverts and various corals including SPS.

So i have the following:

1) filter floss mechanical filtering 1st stage (top) - catches the big chunks - you have to replace this regularly.

2) Seachem phosguard (in a filter bag) to absorb out phosphates

3) Purigen (in a filter bag - very important) - to reduce ammonia/nitrate production. This is similar to chemi pure.

4. Carbon - absorb toxins/bio impurities.

Bioballs/filter media are big time nitrate factories so i stay away from them.

If you are doing FOWLR - the nitrate reduction is not as important - probably don't need the purigen.

Well... it is a bit over a week since I've installed the canister filter and I have to say...

WOW!

What a difference in water clarity!

The water is clear, bright and colors are vibrant.

Next question: With weekly water changes, how often do I change the media in the filter?

Back