Canister filters in a reef tank. Why not?

My biggest concern is the build of of solid waste on the rock and sand surfaces.

That's where a good skimmer comes in handy. And they make HOB skimmers of you are worried about using an in-sump skimmer. Unlike a canister filter, a skimmer uses air bubble and foam to lift solid particles out of your water column. With enough flow in your tank, you won't have dead spots where solid waste gets trapped and it will be removed from the water by the skimmer. And when you go to do water changes you can use a turkey baster to blow stuff off your rocks to help remove it from the tank.

As for flooding concerns with a sump, these are usually caused by a mismatch between return pump rates and overflow box flow rates, breaks in siphons, and power outtages. BUT with some planning up front you can avoid most floods (you can get small pumps to restart your siphon if it fails, float valves to shut down pumps when the water level gets too high or too low, etc. It took me a little time to figure it all out, but once I started drawing pictures and thinking through all of the scenarios that could either cause the sump or DT to overflow I was able to put back up systems in place to pretty much prevent disasters from happening. The only floods I've had (so far lol) were becuase I used irrigation piping instead of pvc initially and it just wasn't strong enough to handle the flow and ruptured. Since fixing that, everything has operated smoothly for me.

I have had my canister hooked up just to get the cloudiness out of the water after adding sand. Once it's clear it will be broken down and stored underneath until an emergency arises.

I have had my canister hooked up just to get the cloudiness out of the water after adding sand. Once it's clear it will be broken down and stored underneath until an emergency arises.

That's what I used mine for. I had a Fluval that I ran for a couple days a month with carbon or ChemiPure.

Well folks, I have had great results since taking the advise offered. I took all the media out of the canister and now use it for a bit more water volume and water movement. On days I do water changes (now doing them weekly) I put in the sponge media only to clear the cloudiness and then take them out again.

As for water movement, along with the 2 Hydor Koralias I have the 2 Aquaclear 70 powerheads and the empty fluval. It is amazing the dramatic results. I actually see coral spreading over the rocks (mimimal of course given the time since the changes). Hope thats not too much water movement.

You all helped me out and I thank you!

Back