Canopy keeps heat in?

cudamon

Reefing newb
A Simple Build-It-Yourself Aquarium Canopy

The link above shows the general direction I'm thinking of going in building an aquarium canopy. I want to build it to keep a zebra eel contained within a 220 aquarium. The tank currently does not have any fish in it but has all of the sand, water, and rock. Since running it for about 3 weeks with no top on it, the temp has stayed around 78 degrees with the thermostat set at 76 degrees. The other day I covered it with something as simple as cardboard to keep the evaporation rate down. I then notices the temp tends to be a degree or two higher. I have concerns building the hood with the LED lighting I have purchased as it may raise the temp too high. I am thinking of drilling small holes in the canopy to allow the heat to escape.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I've read numerous times to attach a fan and allow it to blow across the water to bring the temp down. I'm not sure how you can do it if you have a canopy.

Yes, a canopy restricts ventilation.
Build the canopy with an open back and/or install some simple computer fans in the sides or back that blow air across the water or pull it out the back.

Or buy a chiller.

I think I will build something like this then. This way I can weigh the top down to keep an eel in it.

Attachments

• canopy-sketch.jpg
    canopy-sketch.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 702
BUT plane open top tanks look so unfinished
i hate the way my tanks look with out a canopy
but for my size there big $$$

I think I will take both points of view into account. For now I think I'll build a simple screen top and in the future, with better funding, I'll build a canopy with a screen top and vents on the sides for air flow. Thanks for the info.

Just some info. I have a canopy on mine. It was part of the package with the base. Its 9" high inside from the rim of the tank. It has an open back and a piano hinged front. I have 2 120w LED fixtures hanging in it that produce heat. Mine stays closed except when feeding. My temp only varies about .8*F from night to day. I keep my tank at 80.3*F during the day. Heat of the summer or dead of winter there is very little change.

I know your tank is much bigger, but if you are running LEDs, I don't see where an open back canopy would keep heat in. At least not so much that you would have to worry about it.

Just some info. I have a canopy on mine. It was part of the package with the base. Its 9" high inside from the rim of the tank. It has an open back and a piano hinged front. I have 2 120w LED fixtures hanging in it that produce heat. Mine stays closed except when feeding. My temp only varies about .8*F from night to day. I keep my tank at 80.3*F during the day. Heat of the summer or dead of winter there is very little change.

I know your tank is much bigger, but if you are running LEDs, I don't see where an open back canopy would keep heat in. At least not so much that you would have to worry about it.

I'll have to look into the type of canopy you are talking about. For now, I'm just building something quick and easy. Later, I will build the one specific to my liking.

As to the opening on the back, I have to have it closed to keep the eels I plan on having...hence the screen enclosure.

Back