Cant decide

yote

In Memoriam
Weather to build my own sump or go Lifereef.
As most of y'all know,I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 125,which will be mainly SPS corals.
I'll post some of what I'm looking at,Y'all let me know what ya think.
Since SPS need a lot of flow,I'm think this for a return pump.http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...iew~idProduct~MM1124~idCategory~FIWPEPOH.html
I did order the tank with a 1-1/2" drain and 1" return lines.
Hadnt really decided on a skimmer yet.But I know that it'll be an externally plumbed skimmer.Either one of the octopus skimmers or one of lifereefs.
As of right now I'm planning a 40 gallon sump,with at least a 20gallon fuge,if I build it myself.

Wow, Yote asking a question??? That's rare, since he knows more than pretty much anyone else on this site!!

I say build it yourself too. That way you have infinite freedom to design it the way you want it, so it functions how you want it. You won't be constricted by someone else's designs and by what someone else thinks your tank needs.

Build the sump yourself. You can make it as custom as you need it to be.

That pump....2500gph? I'm sure you know a predrilled ReefReady 125g tank can handle about 1200 gph ( 2 x 600 gph per overflow). What are you going to do with all the extra horsepower? Or are you planning on a non drilled tank and drilling it yourself?

Capt,
I ordered it with 1" returns and 1-1/2" drains.Correct me if I'm wrong,But wont 1" returns handle 1200GPH per overflow?
I thought about just drilling it myself.But with my luck,I decided not to chance it.

Ahhh, OK. I didn't know you custom ordered it. They normally come predrilled with 1" drains and 1" returns and a 1" line can drain 600 gph. A 1.5" drain line will handle 1200 gph, so if you ordered it with 2 1.5" drain lines you're good to go.

Again, I'm sure you know this, but the size of the hole isn't the size of the pipe. You need a hole 2 3/4" to fit a 1.5" bulkhead and a 1 3/4" hole for a 1" bulkhead.

Last edited:
Yep,Ordered it drilled for the bulkheads to handle the pipes.
BUT,Thats also going to be a lot water coming through the sump.The fuge I can slow down.But I want to skim as much of the water as possible before it gets back to the display.
Think that maybe I should go with a slower pump?

Well...they come with 1" drains because the recommended flow thru a sump is aprox. 10x the tank volume (125g tank with 2x600 gph overflows). You are doubling the recommended flow rate. I would get a less powerful pump.

I am with Capt in thinking that the snapper will be too much flow, I think that slow flow through a sump and the longest dwell time in the skimmer are better. Make up your flow rates in the tank not with you filtration.

As for the sump. Why buy when you can DIY?

Yote are you going to go with powerheads or a closed loop on the new tank?

I did alot of reading and went lower on the return too. I have a 180 and did 1800gph at 0' head, so I'm probably only getting 1200 gph at best. This gives the skimmer and the fuge time to do what they are meant to.

I want alot of flow too, and plan on doing it with powerheads. I don't find them all that ugly though, so its not a big deal to me

I only had the the bulkheads drilled bigger for the size plumbing I'm planning on.I never really trusted a tank with several holes drilled in the back glass.
So as of right now,I'm planning on a combination of Tunze set up with a wave maker and at least a couple of Koralia mag 8s.

Wow! That is going to be some serious flow.
Do the sump yourself. You have seen hundreds on this site and through your work. Build it the way you would like it. Take your time and have a blast setting it up. Only way I would pay $$$ for a sump is if I was going to go with an open stand. Some people really like them, but it wasnt for me.
Is the stand also included in this tank or are you going to make that also?

I ordered the stand with the tank.I had planned on building my own stand out of 3X3X1/4"wielded aluminum angle.But I didnt want to have to wait untill next summer to get time to build the stand,So I went the pre-fabed route on it.
After doing some more shopping,I may go with this for my return pump http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18056&cat=485&page=1
I know better than to NOT listen to y'all:D

Also got to decide on a skimmer.But its hard to look at stuff on the computer while trying to build duct.Probably going with an octopus external if I can find one thats rated for a 300gal tank or bigger.
Then got to figure out weather or not I want to stay with T-5s or go with halides.I can get a set of the 72" Nova Pros for 450.00

DAMN,I'm starting to act like my wife in the shoe department at wal-mart.

Last edited:
Is this a 5 or 6' tank?

Love the skimmer but man that is a lot of money. If you can do that, then just have someone build your sump also. While your at it just have someone come do all the maint and you just add corals and watch. lol

Back