can't find cleaner shrimp

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
I brought home a big portion of my new cuc including 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 5 red leg hermits, 5 astrea snails, 15 cerith snails and 10 nassarius snails. Everything seems find except 4 of the ceriths have not moved much and now I can't find my cleaner shrimp. I acclimated them for 1 1/2 hours last night and the cleaner shrimp went in find, the 2 clowns were pretty curious of him and 2 hours later I could still see the cleaner shrimp moving around and now I can't find him at all. Could he be hiding?

Absolutely he could be hiding. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine would rotate where he would be "stationed". About half the time it was at the back of the tank...

new to the tank...hiding is pretty much always going to happen...sometimes even a molt....i wouldnt be to worried. Next time you feed your fishies he will prolly come flyin out.

My cleaner shrimp manages to somehow disappear in my 30g tank from time to time, and when he does it's always because he's molting. It's almost always after a water change, or moving some rock around, I.E. it's probably stress.

Being that he just got into a new home, I'd expect him to hide for a bit, he may even be molting. Once he realizes he's in a safe place and that you bring food to the tank, however, he'll be out in the open like it's nobody's business. :mrgreen:

Oh, and as far as the Ceriths, they've been known to park for a few days, especially after a move. I wouldn't worry about them.

When I added my cleaner shrimp (2 weeks ago?) he hid for 2 days straight. He was so boring. Then he molted. He hid a few more days and now he is all over the tank. I believe that is normal for them to hide while they get used to their new home.

Agree with all the above. He can get all the food he wants at the bottom of the tank, so for a while there's no reason for him to come out of hiding.

Good news, I saw the cleaner shrimp come out last night after the lights went off (except the moon lights). He hasn't come out today yet though. I am very happy I know he is in there!

Back