Can't get Nitrates below 40mg/l

algy1943

Reefing newb
Guys, I really need some help my nitrates are at 40mg/l and no matter what I try they stay the same, my tank is 250L but with the 90kg of live rock there is probably only 160L of water, I do a 10% water change weekly, yesterday I changed 75L and still the water shows 40mg/l, in the sump I have in the refugium, live rock and lots of chaeto, the filter consists of carbon in a very fine sock in the bottom, 4" of foam, floss, a Seachems di-nitrate filter and more floss, attached is photo's of my sump and a sketch

Attachments

• SUMP resized.jpg
    SUMP resized.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 097 resized.jpg
    097 resized.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 098 resized.jpg
    098 resized.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 099 resized.jpg
    099 resized.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 297
How often do you change the filter floss/pads? I would bet that they are collecting detrius and keeping your nitrates high.

How often do you feed? It might be too much.

I am sure someone else here might be able to give their input.

BJ beat me to the post so I'll add +1 BJ

Allen, I would remove all that crap like the filter floss and foam. You can leave the carbon. That could be source or part of it. How often do you feed?

BJ beat me to the post so I'll add +1 BJ

Allen, I would remove all that crap like the filter floss and foam. You can leave the carbon. That could be source or part of it. How often do you feed?

Right David I have removed everything from the filter chamber except the carbon is all that is required to act as a filter?

You don't even need the carbon. If you have a protein skimmer and live rock, you will be set. Carbon helps if you have a lot of soft corals in your tank, and it helps to clarify the water. But it doesn't actually 'filter'.

How much do you feed at once?
Does all the food get eaten?
I bet that you are overfeeding a bit.

I only feed my tank about a quarter of a cube twice a week. I have two clowns and a lawnmower blenny.

So all the brown crap the floss captured, where will that go?

I don't know... I don't really think it's a problem, because I don't see it in my tank. That brown crap is sitting in your filter floss and rotting away, releasing nitrates. I get detritus on the bottom of my sump, but I suck it out during water changes. The water in my tank doesn't look like it has gunk in it.

So all the brown crap the floss captured, where will that go?
The fish I have now is
2 clown fish
2 humbug damsels
1 yellow tang
1 royal tang
1 regal gramma
1 6 line wrasse
2 fire fish
1 coral beauty
1 blenny
how often would you feed them and how much?

I don't know... I don't really think it's a problem, because I don't see it in my tank. That brown crap is sitting in your filter floss and rotting away, releasing nitrates. I get detritus on the bottom of my sump, but I suck it out during water changes. The water in my tank doesn't look like it has gunk in it.
do you get much algae on your glass, I get brown fog on my glass every day

Not every day. After I clean my glass, it will usually stay clean for several days before the algae starts growing back. The algae on the glass is probably a result of your high nitrates, too.

Not every day. After I clean my glass, it will usually stay clean for several days before the algae starts growing back. The algae on the glass is probably a result of your high nitrates, too.

What temperature and what salinity would you suggest I keep my tank at? and how often would you feed the fish I have got?

Temperature should be between 76 and 82 degrees F (you'll have to convert that for me!). Salinity should be between 1.022 and 1.026. Those won't have anything to do with your algae, though.

I would feed your fish once a day, or once every other day. My tank gets fed one time every two days.

Back