Captain Squid reporting in lol

I disagree with saltwater king. I prefer to not rely on additives/chemicals to keep things going in my tank. Remove the bioballs and take care of the nitrates by using a protein skimmer and doing water changes. Why spend money on additives for the rest of the life of your tank? Live rock accomplishes the same thing that bioballs do, but without causing high nitrates. All it is is surface area for bacteria to colonize.

You may also want to consider adding a refugium to your setup. You can keep macroalgae which will naturally get rid of nitrates. And it creates a place for pods to reproduce, which is live food for your tank.

Hmmm so many opinions on so many things and jsut when I think I narrowed it down WHAM someone derails me!

So today I went to a new LFS. Talked to the owner - in biz 16 years. I was ready to up my lighting but lo and behold, this LFS did not try to sell me anything! In fact, they told me that the marine biologist that works with them has poo pooed the 5 watt and up per gallon stating that fish tanks are just not that deep. Basically I was told, leave it alone but do ditch the glass top, bad on two counts. So I did - bought a heat resistant reptile screen framed out for the 75 gal for 20 bucks. After modifying it to work around my overflow box and return line, its in place. Did a 10% water change and will let it settle and see how it is. I do have the green stylophora that was peeling up higher, and I did add back n one of my Koralia powerheads even thought I think they suck. Constantly needing to be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled so the dont stop spinning or spin backwards and no my tank is not dirty or high calcium, its crystal clear and calc is 450.

Anyway will let it gel for a bit. Ive got the Chaeto in a floating tupperware that has holes in it and a line running from one of my pumps into the tupperware ( strapped to the center brace in my 36 gal until I build my new sump which I now have enough parts for)

One question though.....protein skimmers I was told, if there is no waste in the water that they will begin to take nutrients out as well.

Thoughts on that one?

Hmmm so many opinions on so many things and jsut when I think I narrowed it down WHAM someone derails me!

- bought a heat resistant reptile screen framed out for the 75 gal for 20 bucks.

I don't know anything about reptile screens, but I've glimpsed at them before. You need to be certain that it can't rust. If it can, don't use it. Saltwater has the ability to corrode everything, and rust can kill your tank.

To help you out, if you feel you need a lid, alot of people use "eggcrate" as a lid, others don't use any type of lid.

I don't know anything about reptile screens, but I've glimpsed at them before. You need to be certain that it can't rust. If it can, don't use it. Saltwater has the ability to corrode everything, and rust can kill your tank.

To help you out, if you feel you need a lid, alot of people use "eggcrate" as a lid, others don't use any type of lid.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. They say it wont rust but being an old salt myself I find that impossible - eventually all metals will rust or oxidize to some extent.

Now Im pondering my nitrates which I am always battling. They are 60 on the test strip, after a 10% water change :(

Ive got to build my own sump TOMORROW! These damn bioballs suck! I hope the guy who sold them to me develops a leak he cant find lol :bounce:

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. They say it wont rust but being an old salt myself I find that impossible - eventually all metals will rust or oxidize to some extent.

Now Im pondering my nitrates which I am always battling. They are 60 on the test strip, after a 10% water change :(

Ive got to build my own sump TOMORROW! These damn bioballs suck! I hope the guy who sold them to me develops a leak he cant find lol :bounce:

Throw those test strips in the garbage and get a kit that uses the drops instead.
I have yet to see those strips give a correct reading on anything.

Back