Capturing a crab?

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
Any advice on how to capyure a crab? I have a huge rock crab in my tank. I've had one previously and tryied the bait and glass, silverside tied to fishing line, etc. I finally had to wait until he came out of his hole and hit the sand bed. I got him out by removing the live rock where he was and scooping him up.

I now have an even larger one than before, and I really don't want to have to pull my rockwork out to get at him. :frustrat:

Any ideas would be helpful :bowdown:

Any advice on how to capyure a crab? I have a huge rock crab in my tank. I've had one previously and tryied the bait and glass, silverside tied to fishing line, etc. I finally had to wait until he came out of his hole and hit the sand bed. I got him out by removing the live rock where he was and scooping him up.

I now have an even larger one than before, and I really don't want to have to pull my rockwork out to get at him. :frustrat:

Any ideas would be helpful :bowdown:

We had troubles with getting out mantis shrimps (6 if i must said) I used the pest trap from dr fosters and smith. It worked everytime, but you have to watch closely because i was trapping everything from snails to the actually mantis. One time i didnt get to the trap in time because i was at work the damn mantis killed like 6 of my snails because they wanted the mysis too.....lol. GOOD LUCK!!!!!:Cheers:

I've managed to get almost all of my crabs out using only a pair of tweezers and grabbing them. But, you can get a 16 or 20oz. soda/water bottle. Clean it out and pull the label off. Then poke a few small holes in the bottom to allow water flow and the smell of the food to get out. Then put a silverside in the bottle and lean it up against the rock the crab is living on. He'll go in the bottle for the food and won't be able to get back out.

It's a 2 step process.

1. Set up video camera

2. put your index finger in the tank right next to his pincher. When he clamps down on your finger, pull your finger out of the tank.. it's really quite simple.:mrgreen:

Somebody probably has a better idea, but that's what I'm going with.

I've managed to get almost all of my crabs out using only a pair of tweezers and grabbing them. But, you can get a 16 or 20oz. soda/water bottle. Clean it out and pull the label off. Then poke a few small holes in the bottom to allow water flow and the smell of the food to get out. Then put a silverside in the bottle and lean it up against the rock the crab is living on. He'll go in the bottle for the food and won't be able to get back out.

Tried that, it ain't working.
It's a 2 step process.

1. Set up video camera

2. put your index finger in the tank right next to his pincher. When he clamps down on your finger, pull your finger out of the tank.. it's really quite simple.:mrgreen:

You're hired, how soon can you get here?

Put a trigger in there:mrgreen:

No Triggers allowed!

This bastard is honestly the size of a silver dollar. He just ripped a silver side off my feeding stick, it was tied with 2lb test trout fishing line. I hope he eats the line and it lodges in his mouth and he slowly starves to death now.

I got it...

Go rent a mantis from the LFS..tie a string to the tail of the mantis..(I haven't really thought that part out yet).

Drop him in the tank, have him dismantle the crab..voila! problem solved.

Now we've just gotta get the string on the mantis. We could always just stick a hook in the tail of the mantis like we do when we use crawdads for fishing.

PRC your just full of ideas, I like the second even more! Mantis shrimp fight it out with the crab...A hook in the tail would probably work pretty well. Tough situation to get this crab out though...dang!

Try a single hose stocking (women's knee high) and put some food in it. When he goes for the food he'll get tangled up in it and you can then pull him out. May take a day or two but don't feed the tank so he'll be good and hungry. Good luck!!!

It's a 2 step process.

1. Set up video camera

You forgot Step 3:

Post the video on Living Reefs :mrgreen:

Without video - never happened. :Cheers:

He's still here.

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

I want him out because he keeps moving my corals all over the place. Every morning I come out, the little bastard has dumped a bunch of stuff off the shelf, or out of their place in the rock work.

Back