Carbon

I have heard that carbon will take out some of your trace elements and minerals,But I dont know that to be fact.
I dont think it would hurt anything to run carbon a couple of days a month just to help remove some of the discoloration in the water.

I run carbon 24/7.The bad is cheap carbon can leach phosphate,become a nitrate sponge, and remove trace elements from the water.

The good,it removes odor and for the most important since I like mix reef tanks it removes toxins that corals release.

I change mine every 2 wks. so it won't become a biological filter.

My past and present schedule is to run carbon one week to 10 days a month. since i will be dosing I may decide to run two weeks a month. you will need to dose iodide/iodine after running the carbon.

i know this post is a few weeks old but i currently used carbon to cycle my tank. right now my parameters are dead on. however i also recently found out that i get an allergic reaction from it every time i dip my hand in the tank with out gloves on. so im startin to think its not all that well to keep in there all thetime but thats just my .02cents from a noob

Back