cardinal fish reproduction

baddfish

scrubber fan!
Anyone here have any experience with banggai cardinals reproducing in their tank? I've been doing some researching to try to figure out what's going on with the two I have.
They've only been in the tank for 4-5 months, but in that time I've noticed a kind of pattern they go thru. For a few weeks the larger of the two eats like crazy, even making it hard at times to get food to the other fish. Then suddenly the bigger one will disappear behind the rocks for a few days, ignoring food and only poking out of the rocks occasionally. During this time the larger one looks like Marlon Brando's Godfather...its face and cheeks all puffed up. And it does that 'yawning' thing constantly.
I also have a very peaceful, laid-back spotted cardinal and during this time the smaller of the two banggais takes it upon itself to pester the crap out of the spotted cardinal.
This phase lasts only a few days, then the larger banggai comes back out looking normal...and everyone plays well together again.
Is that what could be going on, or...

...maybe I spend just a little TOO much time watching my fish...?

From what I'm reading, its the male that carries the eggs in his mouth (seems like a dicey choice on nature's part...the poor guy starts thinking about moving to a bigger place, life insurance and college funds, and all he has to do is spit em out...)

Isn't the female usually the larger of the pair? The one that appears to be (attempting) to carry the eggs is way bigger than the other.

I also read that it should take a month or so before the eggs would actually hatch, the male not eating at all during this time. So if this is what's happening, my fish don't seem all that anxious to settle down...

Bangai Cardinals are easier to breed than Pajama Cardinals.Which kind is it?
The Pajama's Cardinal's don't develop past the larval stage in the mouth, so they are a lot harder to raise. The Bangai will raise it much longer, giving a much higher chance that they will mature successfully.

They are banggais, parrotchute. I have a lone pj cardinal that the female banggai pesters while the male holds the eggs.

Thanks little fish, that read was very helpful.

I'm pretty sure that's what mine are doing. I'm not too worried about it now, because the male only seems to hold the eggs for 4-5 days at the most, but I'm not sure what I would do if presented with a tank full of baby fish...

Had one and he would not eat. I dropped a ton of food in front of his face. He starved him self to death after about 2 weeks. Suggest you get the tank raised Banggais as they have been raised on frozen foods.

Back