caring and compatibility for a green tip bubble anemone

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I have a 30 gal tank and it has 2 shrimp in it and 1 clownfish I will be getting another one 1 bangi cardole (spelling) whitch I will be getting rid of soon and 1 longnose hawkfish and want to get this anemone Green tip bubble anemones with brown body & live rocks

and would like you to tell me how much lighting and what to feed and how often and if the fish/inverts will be fine with it?

do not say I am not good at keeping saltwater tanks based on my other quetions because I have salved all the problems I have had before and have talked a lot to my locle reef shop!

Anemones need stable mature tanks. If your tank has been set up for less than 1 year than you should not get an anemone.

And I know you've heard this from us many times before, but your shrimp are gonna become food for your hawkfish.\

edit - and by the way, that pic doesn't really look like a bubble tip anemone. Here's what a healthy bubbletip should look like: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+604&pcatid=604 or the red version http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+869&pcatid=869

Last edited:
Yes, that seller doesn't know what they are selling! LOL. That is not a BTA. It looks like a long tentacle anemone, which are more difficult to keep than BTAs. I am on my phone now, so I could be wrong about it being a LTA, but it's definitely not a BTA.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what it was too Biff. I am also thinking that it is an LTA, but might be an H. magnifica (Ritteri) -- hard to tell from the pic. Regardless, Josh, your tank hasn't been established long enough for any 'nem.

Josh, do you have corals? Why don't you try corals first? They are much easier than anemones to keep. And if an anemone dies in your tank, it is likely to kill everything else in the tank too.

If I remember correctly they release toxins when they die.

Also, as far as coral goes try something like mushrooms, they come in all different varieties such as striped and hairy and spotted. They do not require supplemental feedings and are on the lower light requirement side of corals.

right now I have 2 36watt 50/50 martlamp but I can get a stronger light if needed you would just need to tell me what kind to get because I do not to much money so It would need to be on the cheaper side of the lighting price range.

You're definitely not going to be able to keep an anemone alive with that light, and will likely have trouble keeping even low light corals like mushrooms and zoas alive. I'd look into upgrading to at least a 4 bulb T5 light fixture. I'll let someone else chime in w/ advice on specific units to look at.

Back