Carnivorous fish

jaemae27

Reefing newb
Hello, This will be the beginning of my second year with my 75 gallon saltwater tank. I have been trying to add some more fish to my tank but I have this emperor angel fish that seems to be over agressive and has picked off every addition I have put in.........Im at loss of what to do....Thinking of selling the emperor as I want to add more than what I have. This fish had attacked and killed over 12 fish that I have attempted to put in........what do I do???

The minimum tank size for an emperor is 125 gallons. If they are in too small of a tank, the fish will become overly territorial and aggressive. I suggest you find the emperor a new home in a larger tank, then stock your 75 with fish that are more appropriate for a tank that size. If you try to keep the emperor, I don't think there's much you can do to reduce its aggression.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Emperor Angelfish

That is what I was thinking, after the lady sold it to me. I have made arrangements to take the angel back to the store I bought her from. Maybe she can be a permanent addition to their big display tank.
Thank you for your reply!

Are you sure its your emperor who is killing your other additions? I agree that your tank is too small for the emperor and it should be rehomed (and your regal tang is going to need a bigger home as well someday depending on its size now) - but I also notice you have damsels listed in your signature, which are extremely aggressive fish and can easily kill new additions even if they are much larger fish. Even once you rehome the angel, you might still find issues adding new fish wtih the damsels in your tank. What other types of fish do you want to add?

I have sat and watched the Angel go after every new addition. It has now picked off one of the 3 damsels I have left. So now I only have one green chromis, 2 blue yellow tailed damsels 2 clowns, the regal tang and the angel. oh and a
As for the future I was just wanting to add some more Chromis a cleaner wrasse (to which i had one but it got eaten) I added some cardinals.....they got eaten......would like to have them again...
Just some more of the safe kind. My Children at my centre adore this tank and its a little frustrating and expensive to keep adding fish that only seem to be used as "feeder fish" lol.

Cleaner wrasses starve in our captive systems, they are best left in the ocean

When purchasing new fish, make sure you're choosing fish that don't have space requirements larger than what you have. You'll have to re-home the blue hippo tang as well

+1 North

Once you remove the angel, you still might find the damsels going after cardinals or chromis - I'd look to replace the damsels as well and then come up with a list of potential list and rank them in order from most peaceful to most aggressive. If you add the most aggressive fish last you are more likely to have success with everyone getting along.

A few other things - chromis are fun fish but are also known as highlander fish, meaning they will often bully each other until only 1 is left. People have had more success adding chromis if they add in a group of 3 or 5 (I'd recommend 3 for your tank), and I'm not sure how things are going to go adding more chromis to a tank wtih an already established chromis. The already established one might just pick off the new ones (I'd love to add more chromis to my tank but haven't for this very reason).

Even though the regal tank will need a larger home, there are some great smaller tangs that would do just fine in a 75g, and a dwarf angel would do fine as well. You really do have a lot of options for fish in a 75g and can create a really fun mix of fish for your center! A little planning can go a long way :)

Back