Carpet anemones are fuggin sticky!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Yes, I got it completely stuck to my hand. I was freaking, not for myself, but worried I hurt it taking it off. It seems to be ok and opening up now, I hope I didn't do it any harm.

You didnt hurt the carpet.But it intended to hurt you.
That sticky feeling is the anemones nematocysts sticking to you.Your carpet anemone intended to make a meal out of your hand.Its sting just isnt powerful enough to work on humans.But they hurt like the dickens if they find a cut on your hand.

Sorry to be repetitive if you've heard this already, but be warned about the carpet anemone, they are known to eat any fish that comes near them (they are probably the most predatorial anemone kept in this hobby). I've actually seen a carpet anemone eat its own clown host. If you start noticing fish disappear, that's probably where they went.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I made the mistake of getting this beautiful carpet and lost it in 2 weeks...in a 55gal tank. They need SUPER good water quality, very bright lighting, and a well established tank. Hope yours manages to survive!

yeah, I once again did not know that when I picked him up yesterday. If that ends up being the case, he can go in the predator with the maroon and we'll see him try to eat a lionfish. I was under the understanding he would be easier than the sebae I had

Carpets are easier than sebaes. They just have a big appetite :D. But because the carpet is easier than a sebae, doesn't make it easy overall. Any type of anemone (even the "easy" ones) are usually some of the most challenging animals to keep in a tank.

Back