Cat Shark Egg!

grunt

Reefing newb
has anybody here had one of these eggs hatch in their tank? i'm picking up one tomorrow and i would like to get some tips on how to take care of the egg and what to do when or if it hatches. the petshop had it and told me to hang it on the tank close to the flow of my hang on filter with one of those algae holder clips so i guess i'm stiking to that right now but any help would be wonderful. i got a 55 banger with like 50 pounds of live rock, one feather duster, 2 chromis, 1 conch, 2 hermits and one mexican turbo with super coralife 125 protein skimmer and a dual bio wheel marineland penguin 350 brand new that i just hooked up today. the tank has been cycle for a month now with a nitrate to standard and ammonia with 1.023 salinity. new to the saltwater world.

your shark egg

I dont know which kind your getting,but either one will need a bigger tank in just alittle while. I could be wrong but I think the smallest one you should use for this kind of shark is a 300 gallon.Also you will want to get the live rock out of there because their skin will get scrapes easy,and if that happens you will be in a bad place quick. I sure the 55 will work to start, just be ready to upgrade your system.Also all your other creators will be food for your new addition.I hope this will help a little bit.I look into getting one these myself,but decided to get a lionfish instead. :bounce:

hmmmmmmm....

well the thing is that i have seen a guy post a pic on ebay trying to sell his bamboo shark of like 14 inches long and he had it in a 75 banger and with live rock. and on the other snail and hermits that i have i don't think it would be too much of an issue since the little guy will be so small but the feather duster i'm getting rid of anyways before hand and i don't care about my 2 green chromis eaven though they are active upper level swimmers. please give me some tips on handling the lion fish u got and what other fish you have him with cause those ones were one of my next choices in my list. i still have a chance to cancel the shark and still get me either a huma trigger, a leopard grouper or the black lined lion fish thanx for your help and will be waiting for your reply
jorge

sharks are very messy eaters also. your LR will be fine but if you have crushed coral for substrate then your gonna run into problems. like stated before, their bellys are very very soft and prone to scratches and infection. he is gonna need a lot of open space. I had a bamboo shark in a 240 gallon that I hatched from an egg. I just put the egg on the sand and it hatched approx 2 weeks later. I ended up selling him cause he was soo messy. but dang it I wish I still had that 240 gallon tank. if you do get him keep us posted

Yep

Yep Today I Picked It Up From The Shop And It Sat On The Bag With A Little Hole In The Bag For Like Half An Hour Floating In The Tank And Cliped It To The Wall Of The Tank Were The Water Flow Is Hitting It. Also Got Me A Small Lion Fish The Ones That Have The Red Stripes And Did The Same Thing To It. I Just Want To Give It A Try And See How The Shark Does But He Is Just Too Small Right Now So I Give It Like A Month Or 2 Before It Hatches.

I have a marble cat shark in a 75 and it seems to be doing well. The live rock is definately okay, but the substrate has to be very fine for sure. If you look at the yolk sack in the egg it'll give you idea of about how long before it hatches. If the is a lot of yolk you'll be waiting about two months. Just make sure there is no air trapped in the egg from you placed it into your tank. That will kill it. Good luck! My shark was eating the first day in my tank. :^:

yeah

well yeah thanks for the help but i had to sell it cause my tank crashed and i didn't want it to die just for jokes so i will not be watching him hatch sadly :frustrat:

Back