Catalina Lighting?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I am looking into the catalina lights as they will ship up here now. Does anyone have an opinion on them? I want a reasonable unit, how would this compare to the nova extreme pro? Thats about the price range I'm at......

Last time I checked they don't have individual reflectors like the Nova Pros.The bulbs are suppose to have even less PAR than the slimpaqs in the Nova's.

I believe RC has them,maybe he will chime in.

Last edited:
www.catalinaaquariums.com

It says individual german reflectors. Workhorse ballasts. Maybe its a newer model? Kinda like they did with the pros? I'm not worried about crappy bulbs, I will replace after tank is running, but how common are 80w bulbs?

I DO have Catalina lights. :mrgreen: You cannot imagine how much I love them. :bounce:

They DO have INDIVIDUAL reflectors on EACH AND EVERY bulb.

I am using the 6 bulb 24" HO T5 light with remote control. It has 6 1w moonlights. I positively LOVE my remote control. I set it ONCE and I haven't touched my lights since. It's got 3 programming channels.

Channel 1 is my actinics. They come on first--about 7am. They go off at 9:30pm

Channel 2 is my 10K. They come on about 8:30am and go off at about 8pm.

Channel 3 is my moonlights. They come on at 10:30pm and go off at 6am.

One plug into the wall. Set the timer/remote and walk away. Never screw with your lights again and it doesn't take up 2 or 3 electrical sockets in the power strip.

Have you seen my recent tank pics? :bounce: Cheap bulbs or not?? it's working!!! :^: :mrgreen:

LOVE 'EM!!!

Call them!! Don't use the internet checkout system. Call them!! I got my unit for like $220+/- shipped to my front door.

I got this one:
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1505

Mine has 6 moonlights. The website says this unit has only 4. No cooling fans, but it's not really that hot.

I ALSO bought 2 more power compact lights. They each had 3 bulbs 13w each. I recently gutted one of them and put all 6 PC lights and ballasts into one fixture for my fragano tank. Those 2 fixture were custom made to order. Nothing fancy. About $35 each.

Call them. I think they are happy to take your cash if you want to pay full price on the website. I think you get a better deal if you call and talk to them. I think they guys name is Jim.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Catalina Aquarium

NO, he never gave me anything free and I'm not sponsored in any way. Cheap...yes, but not free. I'm just a happy customer.

Last edited:
Back