catastrophy clean up

reefer2b

Reefing newb
Ok, so I've replaced about 12G in the tank. (not counting the 6 I did yesterday) I also took most of the rock and put them in clean water, just in case. I checked and it still reads high about 2 pmm YIKES on ammonia. Is testing immediately after adding the water going to give me an accurate read? Even the water in my bucket is at .5 I guess from the rock I put in there that the anemone is on. I sitll can't see more than an inch into the tank. Since I'm changing so much of the water am I going to have to treat this as a new tank set-up and see if it cycles or not really since the filter and rock already have the bacteria?
Oh, and the sea hare died - at least I think it did it doesn't seem to be moving. My friends did offer to pony up money for the fish that I lost, so at least I'll be able to replace them when the time comes.

Last edited:
Ok this is a shot in the dark I have never done this. On this bottle of Prime I have it says you can add it directly to the tank to detoxify nitrate or ammonia in a emergency. The bottle says it will convert ammonia into a safe non-toxic form that can be readily removed by your biofilter. Like I said I have never done this was just passing the info along.

Since I'm changing so much of the water am I going to have to treat this as a new tank set-up and see if it cycles or not really since the filter and rock already have the bacteria?

The water does not have the bacteria in it. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces like LR, tank and other equipement. I would add the LR back in to help alleviate the ammonia.

Melosu is right.The rock needs to be in the tank so the bacteria can feed on the ammonia.Just dont add the animals back untill everything is under control.

ok will do, I know the water it was in turned all nasty so I put in another bucket of clean water and it stayed cleaner this time

Back