catching my coral beauty?!?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Hes eating my freaking corals and I can't catch him! I've torn my tank apart as much as I can and he still finds places to hide. Any hints how I can get this bastard out of my tank?

What i do, is put a big piece of plexi glass and divide the tank into two sections. Remove the rocks from the half of the tank that has less rocks and now you have him trapped in a small area of the tank.

My point is that instead of chasing the fish around with a net, your limiting his entire territory with a plexi glass and then you can net him out. It works for me each time.

I'm feeling that too, especially after the lfs said he would only give me half back, as he claims its "extremely rare" for beauties to eat coral......grrrrr

I'm feeling that too, especially after the lfs said he would only give me half back, as he claims its "extremely rare" for beauties to eat coral......grrrrr

All i hear about CB's is that there is a good chance they will nib at corals. At least 50/50. So that LFS guy needs to get up to date with what's going on.

It's true, with ALL angels, there's a risk that they'll eat corals. Coral beauties and flames are considered the safest, but you still run that risk. I've had my coral beauty for a LONG time, and he never bothered anything. But just in the last week, he DECIMATED my $120 alveopora colony!! It's name was Alvin the alveopora :(. So it's a crap shoot with those fish.

Any time you add an angel fish to reef tank,you taking a chance.Sometimes you get lucky,other times you dont.

Heres how I catch problem fish.
Get yourself the smallest trout fly you can find and a short piece of 2lb test fishing line.Either file the barb off the hook or mash it down with a pair of pliers.Then just go fishing.
I've used that method several times and its always worked.Causes the fish little if any stress.Even caught a 5lb blue spotter grouper at the LFS that way.

thats awsome, what if it swallows the hook too deep

then you have a fish fry for dinner. LOL

About Angels on a reef tank, I agree that it is a 50/50 chance but I have to add that the safest angel on a reef that I found by extensive research are the lamarks and watanabe angel fishes. I also want to add that I have a Lamarks Angel on my reef and it's been a good citizen. Besides bullying my 2 pajama cardinals he's not touching the corals. when my sps slimes off he eats the slimes.

then you have a fish fry for dinner. LOL

About Angels on a reef tank, I agree that it is a 50/50 chance but I have to add that the safest angel on a reef that I found by extensive research are the lamarks and watanabe angel fishes. I also want to add that I have a Lamarks Angel on my reef and it's been a good citizen. Besides bullying my 2 pajama cardinals he's not touching the corals. when my sps slimes off he eats the slimes.

whenever i look at my tank, i wonder to my self " how would this crab taste?"

Any time you add an angel fish to reef tank,you taking a chance.Sometimes you get lucky,other times you dont.

Heres how I catch problem fish.
Get yourself the smallest trout fly you can find and a short piece of 2lb test fishing line.Either file the barb off the hook or mash it down with a pair of pliers.Then just go fishing.
I've used that method several times and its always worked.Causes the fish little if any stress.Even caught a 5lb blue spotter grouper at the LFS that way.

Yote are you serious? There is a lot of scarcasim on this forum and this method is borderline. Not questioning it just are you for real?

Yote are you serious? There is a lot of scarcasim on this forum and this method is borderline. Not questioning it just are you for real?

Yeah Ryan,I'm serious about catching fish that way.
Its simple and dont stress every thing in the tank.
The way I see it,When a problem fish HAS to be caught.It needs to be done in a way that causes the least amount of stress to everything else.So a barbless hook and a short piece of line will get the job done.It doesnt hurt the fish that your catching and it doesnt cause the other fish any stress from running from a net or having their home torn apart.Plus you dont have to worry about it stirring up some of the crap that leads to tank crashes.

Dude youre my idol, I wouldve never thought of that...well maybe I "would have" but never had the guts to do it. Outstanding

the only thing i would have a big concern with there is with tangs. since they are scaleless fish you may cause some major irritation to the skin grabbing them to take out the hook.... assuming you just grab the fish yote. other than that i have always loved your method. id like to see someone do it someday

Back