Caught on tape!

my mantis i had ate raw shrimp from the frozen section,i would poke it on a toothpick and hold the toothpick with plastic tongs and mine came out and ate then took the chunk back to his hole to eat,never had an issue with missing fish or anything so mine stayed put for over a year,same hole too

Why not just wait and see if whatever this creature is actually causes any problems? If its a little pistol, I highly doubt its going to kill anything in your tank. If its a mantis, then it may become a problem but I think if it was me I would just wait it out and see what happens.

By the way, it sounds just like my pistol shrimp.

Why not just wait and see if whatever this creature is actually causes any problems? If its a little pistol, I highly doubt its going to kill anything in your tank. If its a mantis, then it may become a problem but I think if it was me I would just wait it out and see what happens.

You mean wait until it kills something?

I think the reason she can't wait and see is because the tank is in her bedroom and the sound is driving her berserk. It would drive me nuts too.

You mean it wasn't on the rock???

Yes there was one in the rock aaaaand another one in my tank!

I am pretty sure it's a pistol I have already caught 2 using the cold water dip but at this point it could be a mantis I give up!

It's in my bedroom that's why I want it out its like a really annoying college kid for a neighbor that bangs on the walls all night!

Last edited:
Wait, aren't those the kind of shrimp that form relationships with gobys? It would be funny if it made friends with your goby. :D

hmmmmmm....some times, pistol shrimps make little tunnels under the rocks and you can see that the sand has been moved to form some kind of pile around the hole or entrance to the bottom of the rock, that way they can move to any place of the reef without getting the attention of the fishes, thats one way to know if you have one on your tank. Other thing....aggressive? Can be a mantis shrimp, they are very territorial. The "clicking" can be many things, but if it is to loud and solid, like a strong tap with your fingernail on the surface of a table...can be a pistol shrimp. So, you have a 50/50 chance lol

I can totally relate to the in the room type thing... i had 2 (dubbed smith & wesson lol) that i spent about a year trying to catch... SUPER annoying when you're trying to sleep... finally caught them both and they lived happily not so ever after with my lion fish. I didn't think the lion would be quick enough to catch them and he ended up eating both :( they weren't aggressive at all however, so i think you may have a baby mantis... time will tell?

Attachments

• Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 185
Back