Caulerpa issues

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I bought this rock with a Caulerpa on it. I am trying to aquascape a nice home for my pipefish as well as provide habitat for copepods/amphipods. So... i added this piece to my main tank last Saturday and about 24 hours ago I noticed it is turning brown in some places as well as clear. A few pieces I plucked off turned completely brown and I through them away in fear of it poisoning my tank. From what I've read Caulerpa can be bad, can leech chemicals in your tank. Anywho, anyone have any idea why my caulerpa might be turning brown and clear? I have them under my power compacts w/ good water flow. Maybe I should dose iron?
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

When caulerpa go asexual they become clearish and spew there insides causing the water to cloud and add to the nutrients.What causes this,I don't know but I've seen and experience way to many times.Honestly,I would remove the stuff.

I haven't seen any cloudiness and it's just a few strands, will it stop leeching or continue until the whole plant looks like this? I don't mind it spreading a bit.

People call it ''asexual'' on the internet but I'm not sure thats the correct term.They don't spread after this happens,they become flimsy and clearish.Sometimes just a few branches,sometimes the whole algae.It always happen from time to time on me.If you want a nutrient export and a haven for copepods then get a chaeto ball and wedge it between the two rocks.Chaeto doesn't go asexual and doesn't attach to anything since they don't have runners,easily removed and prune when needed.

Thanks reeffreak! I have to leave on vacation in a few days. I think I'll watch it and see if it spreads, remove it if it does. I definitely don't want to jeopardize my whole tank.

Back