caulerpa problem

Kat

Reefing newb
I would like to eradicate the caulerpa in my tank, I have to prune it constantly or it takes over and crowds out my corals. is there anything that will eat it or does anyone have any suggestions.

If its in your 14gal,you'll just have to keep pulling it out.Get as much as the runners as possible.

is there anything that eats it that I could get for a short time. I have access to a large tank I could put the creature in after the job is done

Unfortunately the only fish that I can think of that eat it are big fish. Way too big for your tank. Do you have a friend that has a larger tank than you do? If so, you could buy them a tang or rabbitfish as a gift, and rotate your rocks through their tank, one at a time, until it's gone from all your rocks.

Maybe an emerald crab will work. But that's a big maybe. And most likely a no...

They also don't live that well in captivity from what I have heard. Try plucking it off the rocks. Then sell it to others. That algea can get expensive just for a little handful, or at least it is at my LFS.

get out the toothbrush and pull the rock out of the tank and start scrubbing... you should be able to get most of it that way...... if you get a spot where it keeps coming back.... use a pick or screwdriver and dig the root out of the rock.... the roots don't penetrate very far and you should be able to clean it out..

Back