Center brace melting

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, the brace at the top of my aquarium is melting from my MH light. Is this a structural piece, or is it only divided to make holding glass tops easier? I would like to cut it right off. I will have this same issue with my new 125Gallon tank as well. Seems to be pretty common to have that piece at the top, what do you guys do about them?

Yes it is structural! It is designed to help keep your tank from bowing. You could cut it out, but the center support should be replaced with something. I've seen aluminum tubing used.

How does nobody else's melt? I see them on all tanks, but with the lights it is in such a bad spot, as there is always a strong bulb right above it. My lights sit maybe 4" tops over my tank. Its basically the height of the legs that came with it.

I have a 400w MH directly above my center brace...It's discoloring it, but not melting it..I would reinforce it somehow to give it the support it needs.

I currently cant tell if it is heating the water. The center brace completely melted, and it would not be safe to leave the light on if I wasnt home. The water is currently out of the tank, as I am taking a few steps backwards and doing my plumbing the way it should have been done from day 1.

Isnt the purpose of the lights to leave them on the legs they come with? At this height, the center braces dont stand a chance. Does anyone know a link that has a DIY to replace that brace with something better?

Back