Centerpiece Fish

Pretty much color and elegance. I'm thinking about the black and white heniochus, but I dont think theyre reef safe.

no theyre not reef safe. Most Butterfly fish are either not reef safe or you can add them with Caution to reef environment. plus many of them are qouted as needing more gallons then ur tank size provides.

check out the Copperband Butterflyfish, needs 50 gallon min, but they have a tendance to be a high carelevel fish due to their shy nature. but they are considered one of the better butterflies for a reef environment.

maybe look in to a Mystery Wrasse, even though you gotta monitor them with some inverts. they are easy to care for, have vibrant color Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)

besides that i dunno what other ones i could suggest to you cause most teh fish i and im sure many others would consider centerpiece fishes, many sites say 70gal min. like i stated before ive been told and seen peoples tanks who got them as babies, and that limited them on stress, cause basically the fish grew to their environment. my drs office has a hippo tang in a 46g bowfront with a 2 clownfish and 2 gobies, and Helfrichi firefish. and some inverts and coral

check this site out
Blue Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

they state hippo tangs need 40g min for the ones u purchase small, if u check the medium or the show hippo tang they state u need more gallons. it says medium needs min of 90, and show which is large needs 150

yet many sites state 75gallons. the fish will grow regardless, but what ive learned from taking my selected oceanography and marine biology classes they have a tendance to adapt to there surroundings. meaning growth, eating habbits, etc.

i found this one a site " Generally it is best to keep one tang per aquarium. If attempting to keep more a 75 gallon aquarium or larger aquarium is recommended as well as introducing tangs from different genus at the same time"

if im being honest with you, i think if u purchase it as a tiny fish 1/2 to 1" i think ull be fine, anything bigger i would not even recomenend it just cause i wouldnt want u to purchase it and stress the fish to death. but i think if u get it as a baby your success rate in your tank greatly increases, cause a baby tang is more likely to adapt to your tank

Last edited:
The Blue Hippo is an ich magnet. so if you decide to do one you will need cleaner shrimp, some cleaner gobies or wrasse, and a uv sterilizer. Last one I had I got size of a quarter, and was 5 1/2 inches when I tore down my system. good luck. keep us posted.

Nigers get really big also. Some 18"-19". Not recommended by most in less than 100 gal. But I have seen some sights say they can be kept in 60 gal. I think your 45 is still to small.

What about a dottyback? Mononichthys splendens. (Splendid dottyback) Or Mononicthys Alleni or Pseudochromis aldabraensis Arabian Bluelined Dottyback. Pretty striking color pattern. There are lots of small ones but some of them can get up to 5". You may want to check them out.

I think Biff was right about the angel as the centerpiece fish. After thinking it over, I've decided to forget about larger fish. I'm just going to stick with my initial plan of building a nano community. Speaking of which, how many more fish can I safely add? I'm gonna go with some really small ones.

Last edited:
the niger trigger is one fish that is totally unpredictable in aquariums.

ive seen some in tanks [still usually 75gallon tanks] with a trigger no bigger then 4-5 inches, then ive seen one that was roughly 12inches, either way i wouldnt suggest them, unless you wanna see some of your chromis disappear. the trigger would love to nip at them

You can safely add as many as your system can handle :D. There is no hard and fast rule. Everyone's system is different. It depends on how good your filtration system is and how much DO is available, and the types of fish that you have. I have 13 in my 55 gallon, which is a lot, but my system can handle that type of a bioload (apparently)... So it just depends.

Sounds like a good plan. since u wanna add smaller fish, look into pearly jawfish

next time we'll all have to try to convice you to just get a bigger tank lol

LConte17 said:
Sounds like a good plan. since u wanna add smaller fish, look into pearly jawfish

next time we'll all have to try to convice you to just get a bigger tank lol

46 was the largest I could go that could comfortably fit into my room.

If it was up to me, I would knock down a few walls and add a wing to the house to support an enormous tank. Sharks and large angels and 20,000lb LR. haha. I wish.:mrgreen:

your located in Ny one state over from me, and im a licensed contractor, i think i can know down some walls for u. lol

well Good luck with whatever small fish u add man. seriously look in to pearly jawfish, theyre bad ass

LConte17 said:
your located in Ny one state over from me, and im a licensed contractor, i think i can know down some walls for u. lol

well Good luck with whatever small fish u add man. seriously look in to pearly jawfish, theyre bad ass

Ill keep that in mind.lol

Jawfish are definately cool, they were actually on my "to buy" list

Bifferwine said:
You can safely add as many as your system can handle :D. There is no hard and fast rule. Everyone's system is different. It depends on how good your filtration system is and how much DO is available, and the types of fish that you have. I have 13 in my 55 gallon, which is a lot, but my system can handle that type of a bioload (apparently)... So it just depends.

Is there any way to determine the safe bioload for a system other than trial and error?

Add slowly and not too many animals at a time and test for how your system reacts to the add bio load over the next 2 weeks. if all is good you will know. if you add an animal and the ammonia increases and then nitrite and then nitrate climbs but you are able to get under control, each add animal will put a larger burden on the system. so patients and go slow.

Back