Chaeto background?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I had this idea and wanted to do some thinking out loud before I attempted it.

What if you attached a net to the back of the tank along the wall and dropped a few balls of cheato under it. Would it eventually spread through the net and cover the back wall of the tank?

I think it'd solve two problems for me. I don't like coraline on the back wall and scraping it sucks. My tank would also benefit from the nutrient export.

Would Culpera be a more suitable option?

Don't use caulerpa. It will go through a reproductive stage if you have a day/night cycle and during that stage it will kill your tank. That idea of using chaeto on the back seems interesting... I suppose you can try it if you are willing to prune it back regularly. :D

My favorite is chondria (sp?). My LFS sells it and it grows on the rocks, walls, and overflows. Unfortunately, my tang and FF eat it before it can get established in my tank :grumble:

Corals.jpg

It's the purple algae in the middle.

I believe chaeto is just like algae, when it has light, it absorb nitrogen and release oxygen, hence, it increase the pH.

i had it backwords, lowers ph at night. hence the reason of lighting it in a sump. My Bad :D

Right, this may be a concern with a large amount of the stuff, as you would see in a refugium. But having a small amount on the wall would be very similar to an intank refugium, really good for nothing else aside from pod production(and maybe a tiny bit of export).

I'm not familiar with GSP?

Ohhh, Green Star Polyp! Right : P I'd really like to try a macroalgae of some form for the above reasons. Nutrient export, no matter how small, would be beneficial in my circumstance.

Last edited:
I think a green chaeto background would just ruin the look of a reef. Might as well go planted fresh. :mrgreen:

Back