Chaeto won't grow

madlynb

madtaz
I have purchased chaeto twice for my fuge. For some reason it doesn't multiply like I have read so many forum pals have talked about. What am I doind wrong?:grumble::frustrat::bowdown:

I had the same problem. I switched to a CFL floodlight, 6500Kelvin and equivalent to 100 watts, and my chaeto tripled in size in 1 month. The first one I had died off, but parts of it were still in the fuge when I put in new chaeto, and those parts also grew as well.

I had chaeto die off too. I put a strong Homedepot "plant light" or Halogen on it and it started growing. I suggest a bare minimum of 1 watt per gallon. Warning, the Halogens will produce a lot of heat. Also, try to flatten the chaeto somewhat so that it all gets light and there are no dark spots in it. I use 2 lights so that if one bulb goes out at least there is some light still going.

I put a strong Homedepot "plant light" or Halogen on it and it started growing.

What brand and wattage was that, Sen? I'm looking to stop using CFL, but nothing else has worked so far (I even tried the n:vision brand cfl, and those didn't stay on long enough.

I have been having the same problem. i had my first bunch die off and now i have a second bunch. I have two 6500K bulbs on 24/7. Should I turn them off when the tank lghts are on. The top portion of the cheato looks like it is starting to die off again. i have had my water checked several times and it is perfect. Please help!

what is you nitrate and phosphate levels. cheto will not grow in my tank even with 192w of pc lights. if you have a low nutrient system it will not grow.

I have a plant light on mine, it all fell apart and there is very little left. I just bought some more off ebay, haven't got it yet. Hope I have better luck with the second batch....

I had one of those typical equivalent to 100W spiral energy saving light bulb hanging on top of the water and my Chaeto continuously dying off. Later I changed my fuge bucket to an algae scrubber setup and just let the remaining Chaeto sit at the bottom. Now that I have 2 of those 100W bulb on the algae scrubber, the Chaeto at the bottom doubled in size in the last 2 weeks. I think it just need more light.

Chaeto needs strong florescent light! And the distance of the light to the chaeto is a big factor. If the light is hanging a foot above cheato it may not get enuogh light.

The plant light I have is a florescent bulb. It's 15 inches from the chaeto. I just got mine today from Ebay. It is huge !! Cheaper than what I paid for that little bit from the LFS. And 4 times the size. I'll see if this one grows.

I have two CFL Helical bulbs which are 26W a piece. is this enough light or is there any better bulbs. The cheato seems to get dried out on the top and then die off.

I had them checked and they are both perfect. Does anyone have a picture of what their cheato in theor fuge looks like?

My chaeto is at the bottom of the Algae Scrubber bucket.

chaeto1.jpg

Can't quite see clearly from the reflection of the water...

chaeto2.jpg

Here they are. Nice and solid and green:

chaeto3.jpg

Back