Changin over from fresh

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
I have a 220 g tank (6 x 2 x 30" tall) that is undrilled with big african haps. I am bored out of my skull lol

The tank, unfortunately is not drilled, but i can put in 2 corner overflows if required.

I do have a decent depth of crushed aragonite, which i would prefer to keep, and about 50 lbs of base rock. There is also some tufa rock and some other kind of rock, but i will likely ditch it - its pretty rough textured

I would like to do a FOWLR tank, and have looked at these species that interest me quite a bit

As far as the basics, I have the typical freshwater lights, no t5 or anything, and 3 canister filters (about 1000 gph).

I have a spare 75 gallon, which I could use for a sump.

Fish I am looking at are fish like triggers, fox face, angels, etc. I would like some smaller stuff as well, but really dont have a great starting point

Any help would be appreciated

You don't need to drill the tank. You can use an overflow box instead. When it comes to an undrilled tank, there will be people that argue that using an overflow box is easier than drilling, and vice versa. I personally think that using an overflow box would be much simpler.

The lights that you have would be perfect for a FOWLR tank. I'd ditch the canister filters though, and buy a protein skimmer instead. Especially if you are using a nice, big sump. That leaves plenty of space for a good skimmer.

It sounds like you are trying to go for an aggressive/non-reef safe tank with your fish selections. It should work out well!

+1 Biff.

Before you make the move to saltwater I would seriously consider whether you want to do a fowlr or reef tank. Being pretty new myself, at first you just want the fish, but IMO once you start looking at the different corals you change your mind. Reason I'm saying this is, because some of your fish selections aren't reef safe. So just give it some serious thought before pulling the trigger. Pun intended.

I've been looking at this on and off for a year or so. I dont have the time right now for a reef, or the spare cash for the high end lighting (we had a baby 3 mos ago). I was in cuba for my honeymoon, and actually caught a trigger on a big crankbait off the beach. FYI they are very very very strong - it was about 14" long, and it really beat me up.:bounce:

I like the change to the salt water tank, but for now, and the forseeable future, I doubt i will be looking to a reef, although I do love the look of it.

Whats the scoop with overflow boxes? They just hang on the back? and then you plumb them into the sump? That sounds so much easier than drilling, since I dont have to take a 500lb tank off the stand

Would you add live rock to this tank also? or just use the cheapo base rock?

Yep. That's the gist of the overflow box. They use a siphon to draw water up and over the edge of the tank, down to the sump. The two most popular brands are Eschopps and CPR. I've used the CPR myself, and if you go with that one, be sure to buy an Aqualifter pump with it. This will automatically restart the siphon if the power goes out.

I would add a mix of live and base rock. The live rock will seed the base rock eventually. Any bacteria that you have on the rock already is freshwater bacteria, so you'll need to start over again seeding the rock anew.

I looked up the overflow boxes. There are different ones, at "x" gph. If I will use 2 overflows on a 220, what size would I get!?

If you're using a sump in your design, the overflow pipe(s) drop down to a sump, and the return pump and pipe go in the sump back to the display tank.

With a 220g tank you'll more than likely have an overflow box with 2 pipes coming down, and a larger one coming up from the sump and return pump back to the display tank.

Using my tank as an example, I have a 90g tank with a 55g sump. I have 2 3/4" pvc pipes dropping to the sump and a 1 1/2" (one and a 1/2 inch) pvc returning the water to the display tank.

I use a mag 9.5 return pump, you'll need a larger return pump for a 220g tank.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Do not ditch the canister filters. When hooked up to a marine tank permanently they tend to collect detritus and produce nitrates. But if you keep them clean and pack them with the right media they can save your tank in an emergency situation. Let's say you have a nitrate spike or some toxin gets in the tank. Hook up canister filter temporarily for 12 - 24 hours and solve problem.

Good points!

So here is the latest.

There is a reef store near where I live (Oakville Reef gallery), and they were saying that I should drill the tank for 2 overflows, giving me about 1200 gph. Then drill the back for the returns (split into a "Y". Then add a couple of big powerheads in the tank at 2 or 3000 gph to move the water more.

I also saw some really nice lights there for about 800-900 that will allow me to actually have a reef.

Can you say tank build thread coming soon to a forum near you lol.

Im kinda pumped:^:

This is going to be crazy. I will warn you - build will be VERY VERY long. I have to get my malawi hap sold (almost all gone), get the tank drilled and get the overflow boxes. I am building the sump myself out of a 75 gallon, so that will save me some money at least.

I think I will do a fuge in the sump.

Then I need to get water hooked up downstairs (easy enough) and get the RO unit piped in.

How much live rock do you put in a 220? 200-250 lbs?

And what fish now that it is going to be a reef?!:bounce:

200-260lbs should be good.You can use mostly dry rocks to save some money.This site has the best.Nice light weight,porous and cool shapes.

Drilling or are you using an overflow box?

drilling. The guys from that store will come to my house, and drill it for 25 bucks a hole. so 3 holes, and she is all drilled. Then plumbing in the overflows, and then I will be working on the sump.

I think I will see what the dry rocks go for on here, and then seed it with 10 or 20 lbs of live rock. Good idea - I can get base rock here for a buck a pound

That stuff from Marco is really nice looking!

When you use dry and live rock together, do you mix the live rock in, or do you just put it near the front of the "reef" so that the "live part" can seed the rest. I was doing my budget with 250 lbs of live rock. ouch.

Back