Changing from sand to crushed coral

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I need to move my tank from one stand to another and I'll need to move a lot of the rock from it to move easily. I'm pretty annoyed by all the sand moving around everywhere if I don't get the powerheads just right and would like more bottom flow but can't because of sand blowing all over if I don't get one pointed just right. I'm thinking crushed coral would be a lot more forgiving and was wondering if anyone had done this change before and if so, how it was done and if you have any regrets?

Crushed coral will catch a lot of detritus and become a nitrate factory. After I switched my crushed coral to sand, my water quality improved by a lot. But I think you can use crushed coral if you vacuum it every week.

Crushed coral is what everyone used in the 90's. We also use to have full tank crashes every 2 to 3 years. The stuff is just impossible to keep clean.

+1 sand is the much better way to go versus crushed corals. I would go bare bottom on the tank rather than using crushed coral if you absolutely don't want the sand.

Also if you wash the sand really well before putting it in your tank you will get rid of those fine, dusty particles that like to get stirred up.

Ive been in the process of getting rid of crushed coral. Quite frankly it looks terrible after it seasons a bit. When it was bright white it was nice, but I think it takes away from the look of the tank. I scoop about a 6x6" square out every week or so to not cause a full NH3 spike.

Back