changing inserts in hanging filter

highwaycrossinfrog

Reefing newb
Hi, i have a hanging filter and everytime i go to change the insert, a big cloud of salt goes into the tank. i am getting ready to put the live rock in and was wondering will this kill the fish when i eventually put them in the tank. thanks!

I Have A Emperor 280, And At First It Did The Same Thing, Cloudy Water Would Come Out. Now I Change The Spray Bar All The Way Up And It Stopped It A Little, I Think It Will Always Happen A Little Bit.
It Never Seemd To Stress My Fish Out. Even When I Clean My Tank And Everything Gets Stirred Up And Clouds For About An Hour. I Think Of It As A Storm Out At Sea...... Things Change Out There All The Time.

Just be carefull about placing corals where the salt creep and land on them.It'll burn em and they wont open for a few days.

I agree with what has been said. It will help to not happen as much if you check for salt creep just before the filter change and clean it up with a paper towel soaked with RO water. Fish will swim up to the salt when it hits the water but will ignore it. Corals are a different problem. When I clean my salt creep, I do it at night so as not to have the corals open. Just in case something falls in.

RayRay is dead on with the cloud not being a problem. The ocean does some nasty stuff to fish and they do just fine.

-Doc

For the most part salt creep won't harm anything if it falls into the tank.Like Yote said,it does irritate corals when it lands on them.Make sure any fish doesn't think its food and put it in their mouths.It will/could damage the gills.

I had an emperor that did this. I have since switched filter systems but I would be careful if and when you add corals. I lost two heads on my Torch when high salinity water came in contact with it. You could try putting a filter sock or some filter material under the water flow from the filter while changing pads.

Good to know, thanks for the advice! I also just had a thought, i could turn off the filter before i change the inserts, so not as much salt dumps back on the coral.

Back