Cheap Alk Doser

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I took this $20 auto-feeder and filled it with baking soda.
Alk is pretty consistent at 8dkh. I have to shake the thing once
a week to keep the BS loose. It drops about a half a teaspoon a day in.

DOSER.jpg

DOSER2.jpg

I have seen too many of those cheap feeders break and dump their entire contents into the tank -- it happens all the time. That's not something I'd trust. Plus, like Capt said, you are supposed to mix the baking soda into some water first and then dump the mixture into the tank. What happens if you dump it straight into the tank and some lands on your corals? Or a fish takes a mouthful of it, thinking it's food?

I have seen too many of those cheap feeders break and dump their entire contents into the tank -- it happens all the time. That's not something I'd trust. Plus, like Capt said, you are supposed to mix the baking soda into some water first and then dump the mixture into the tank. What happens if you dump it straight into the tank and some lands on your corals? Or a fish takes a mouthful of it, thinking it's food?

Not a problem.
Mine dumps the baking soda in back chamber number 2 (of 3) where it has plenty of time to mix before entering the main display. Also, it dumps it on the plastic grate where it has time to slowly dissolve into the water. The cup clips on pretty securely. I have trouble getting it off. The alk did creep form 7 up to 9dkh over the course of a week but I can adjust it to put less in.

Back