Cheap LED lights?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I am not too knowledgeable about lighting, but I think I read somewhere that someone bought small circular LED lights from an automobile custom shop for like 10 bucks and stuck them under his light and used them to do the blue moon lighting. I think something like this would be perfect for me since at this time I am not doing corals and don't need one of those premium lighting fixtures. Anyone know of anything similar to this or what might be a good light product that I could use to do this?

For moonlight use they would be fine. Just make sure you use shrink fit tubing over your wire joints if the wiring is copper. The cheapest LED's I have seen for an aquarium are about $50 for 4 lights mounted in a strip about 24 inches long, they were low volatge and I believe only one watt for each LED.

Yes, Ebay is very good for any LED lighting. I have purchased blue 470 nm lighting on there. It was a while ago, but I believe it was about $10 for 100 of them. There are several sellers that sell not only the blue LED lighting for moon light effects, but sell them with controllers that will mimic moon phases based upon the intensity which varies over a 28 day cycle.

Last edited:
LED require voltage conversion so remember it is not as simple as stringing a bunch of bulbs together and plugging the string in like Christmas tree lights. However, there is no good reason for the high cost of the units tht make it to the tropical fish market, other than demand and profits.

Back