cheato performance

dixonstanley50

Reefing newb
Hi all! im just wondering what to expect from my cheato, ive had it for about a month in my 30 gallon just kinda tucked in the corner and it dosnt really seem to be growing much and nitrates arn't really dropping(10-20 range) does it do better with 24 hour flourescent light or will my light cycle in the dt be more than enough? they are 2 x 96 watt coralife bulbs blue 10000k and white 10000k thank you!!

I have mine down in the sump. I have tried it in high and low flow and it seems to grow best in high flow. I keep the fuge light on 27/4 and I have to rim it every week. Not sure if this helps at all but i bet others will chime in.

google this article "nitrate in the reef aquarium by randy holmes farley" and it will explain.

you don't have enough chaeto biomass to outpace the nitrate your tank is producing, no matter how its lit or circulated. a very special dedication has to be made in order for chaeto to outpace the bioloading we keep in these tanks. nearly every biocube with chaeto in the back area, and every tank keeping chaeto in the front display, and most of them with chaeto in the sump, are not benefitting through nitrate binding even though they say they do, its just a fad.

If a little bit of growing chaeto was enough to clean up nitrate, he'd say that in the article. Having chaeto anywhere in your tank is perfectly fine, but it can't beat large water changes, skimming, and reduction of feed input into the tank, per that article.

The article says water changes aren't even the best way to accomplish nitrate reduction, check it and see. It does however work for me because in my small reefs I change 100% of the water and I control the feeding in a certain manner, so in this case large water changes certainly reduce my nitrates compared to overall bioload in the tank.

Cheato needs constant light to work the most efficiently, and to have a moderate amount of flow thru it, and a low (5500-6500 kelvin rated) bulb...your dt light should be enough for it to help. Also try cutting it up a little, so that the cut ends can try to absorb some of the nitrates.

Back