cheato shrinking

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My cheato used to grow thick and I would cut it back big time but in the last month or so it has shrunk to almost nothing. I have a 20G long with a HOB 3G fuge. I have advised others that they need strong light and flow to make cheato grow. I have 2 lights on my fuge. One bulb did in fact get weak but even after I replaced it a couple weeks ago I've seen no growth. The flow is almost 300gph. I have 2 clowns and one small green clown goby. Also, one shrimp and corals. CUC is fine. No serious algae problems. What gives?

That happens to most macroalgae I put in my main system.
Since my tank is still a relatively low bioload setup, it is only a matter of time before the water runs out of "usable crap" for the macroalgae to eat and it withers away.
I have considered overfeeding, but then it defeats to purpose of why macros are in the tank in the first place.
Over time, I'm sure this would be a non-issue as my bioload increases.

I have backup macroalgae colonies in 5-gallon growout buckets with bubblers and regular PC curly bulbs in the garage.
The bottom of the buckets also have some sand and rock rubble for biofiltration.
The live rock/rubble come into play when I intentionally spike the ammonia in these tubs by putting some frozen brine shrimp occasionally. This eventually raises nitrates, phosphates, etc that the macroalgae can use.

That happens to most macroalgae I put in my main system.
Since my tank is still a relatively low bioload setup, it is only a matter of time before the water runs out of "usable crap" for the macroalgae to eat and it withers away.
I ha
I have backup macroalgae colonies in 5-gallon growout buckets with bubblers and regular PC curly bulbs in the garage.
... etc that the macroalgae can use.

backup cheato is a very good idea. Maybe I just need to add another fish.

Check your Magnesium. Mag is used to bind the nutrients in macroalgae and even more in mangroves. If you don't have enough mag your chaeto cannot take up the nutrients it needs. I stay up around 1450 as high Mag tends to help stabilize the Calcium and Alk and it reduces Green Hair Algae.

Back