Check-in my live stock on my flight to FL

mach1ray

Reefing newb
I will be moving to FL start of next year and instead of sending my live stock via FEDEX or with the movers, I thought why not check it in on my same flight?

My thought is, prep a substitute tank in the new place about 1 month prior to the move. The day of the move, pack my live rock, substrate, tank and stand and send those items with the movers. Pack my corals and fish in plastic bags, place them in a styrofoam box, place that in a cooler, tape it up securely and check it in on my flight.

The flight is approximately 2 hours long and I'll factor in another hour before the livestock makes it into the tank.

My questions are:

Is it important to announce the contents as live stock?

Is there a limit to the amount of liquid allowed with check in items?

Does it make sense keeping the substrate as opposed to having it live and fresh in the temp tank at FL?

Anything I should concern myself with with the check in items?

Did I leave anything out?

so you would be taking these items on the plane with you as carry ons?

if so then you will probably not be allowed due to that much liquid...( my bro works at the airport and he said that it could be an issue)
if you check it in and allow others to take "care" of it then they might just toss it around, put other luggage on top of it or squish it even if you say its fragile.(he said they are assholes some times and dont really care...

so possible problems there.....

You can't carry on liquids. As for checking the box as cargo, I would be afraid of the rough handling. And if the box leaks, OH BOY I get the feeling you will be in for some questioning with the cops. It is not worth it to move with livestock, IMO. It is too stressful for them and I wouldn't risk their survival. It's better to find them a new home or take them to your LFS. But if you want to fly with them, you really have to contact the airline and ask them.

Yup, won't work.

What you can do is drop your stuff off at the freight office. I would check on the amount per lb. I know Southwest is a little under $1/lb and they are the cheapest. I just got a load from TBS that was 95lbs and it cost me about $82. You need a good cardboard box with a styrofoam box inside. And inside that some heavy duty plastic bags. You probably want to put your livestock into separate bags filled with water and air just like when you go to the pet store. This will help protect them. So do that with livestock and if you are shipping rock just fill the big heavy plastic bags with water and put the rock in there. Seal everything up real good with rubber bands. You should still expect a little leakage maybe.

Get to freight early enough and you should be able to get your stuff on the same flight as you. You'll then have to go to the freight office in florida to pick it up.
Call your local freight office before hand though to make sure you don't need any special license or paperwork. I'm just telling you how Tampa Bay Saltwater does it.

Its that I am attached to my livestock and would rather do the freight as Dennis says. Ok I take that route and when I get to my new place I should not dump any of the old water into the temp tank right? What other steps should I follow?

Thanks Dennis! I intend to fly southwest to Tampa.

No, the water they have been traveling in will likely have high ammonia levels and other stuff that's out of whack. You do not want to use that water. But you will need to acclimate them to the new water properly.

If you are so attached to the livestock, I still think you are better off finding them a new home. I don't believe their chances of surviving a trip are very good. They are better off in a new home than dead because you couldn't let them go, right?

I think the biggest difference is that they aren't putting them all in a brand new tank. Even if the tank is fully cycled, adding many fish at once could potentially cause your levels to go out of whack and cause a second cycle. The new tank just won't have the capacity tho handle the bio load of all the fish.

Plus the vendors ship via next day shipping and if it requires so they will put heat packs to keep the temp suitable.

Honestly I would just sell them because if just one dies or gets sick, you could do more harm to your tank. Plus that new tank is going to have to be cycled just right before you introduce them again. And setting it up a month prior to moving means no maintenance and the levels will probably be high as soon as you get there.

Wow, that sucks. Guess I will have to part with them. My problem is I will only be at the new address a few months while house hunting which means breaking everything down again a few months later. Might as well setup fresh after house hunting. Too bad. Any one interested in some coral?

I'm just saying how TBS does it. All that rock, sand, critters, sponges etc i just got for my tank, were all shipped this way. The key is least amount of time in the boxes possible and good packing to prevent leaks. Richard starts packing at the crack of dawn and is dropping stuff off at the airport before lunch. Then I'm picking it up at my airport a few hours later. Wham bam, thank you ma'am. ;)

But... people have a point. This is going to cost you. Shipping, supplies, time. You may want to think about selling at least some of the stuff.
Also, like i said earlier... you better call before you do any of this. They are going to need to know whats in there and you may need a special license for this sort of thing. They are just as paranoid about bombs and chemicals in cargo as they are in coach.

Only thing I'd be taking with me is about 8 pcs of coral, 4 fish and as much of the cleaning crew as I can bag. Not too much of an inventory.

The live rock (in a cooler), tank and stand will be sent with the movers. Substrate will be purchased in FL. Sounds as though freight was the way to go.

The cost will not compare the the price I'll pay per piece and fish in FL. The majority says don't do it.
Found these links on packing for transport:
8 Easy Steps to Pack-Up and Move Aquarium Pets - Introduction

http://www.ehow.com/how_8669016_ship-corals.html

Last edited:
Yeah if you are only living in the place for a few months I'd just get rid of everything but the rock and sand. And not get anything again until you have a house.

Will do Adam. Thank you all for your input. Gonna have to fight the urge to buy any new coral now until I find my dream home

1+ everyone else -- You CANNOT take water on plane!

If you filled the water with lots of oxygen and shipped overnight in very carefully packed boxes when the weather is just right they might make it.

I'm surprised your night driving down. From where you are you could make FL border in 11 or 12 hours. I'm amazed at how long a 5G plastic bucket can hold its temp. With an auto-inverter, air pump and low watt heater, it just might work.

Back