Check it out.....

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
Got about 10 more lbs of cured live rock and a scooter and a sixline. Check it out. I had to move a rock or 2 around to get it how i like it and i am finally done with all the live rock I want in my tank. 70lbs in a 55gallon. woo who. Now I need some hard corals next week. Man those suckers arent cheap..

fish030.JPG

fish032.JPG

fish029.JPG

I was looking at a finger coral today and a few other hard corals. Seems like hard corals run about hundred a pop for little stuff. Man o Man

Now I need some hard corals next week. Man those suckers arent cheap.

buy them as frags and let them grow out in your tank. that is where the real satisfaction in this hobby is. almost every coral in my tank was started from a frag. sure it will take a while, but the payoff is SOOOOO worth it, IMHO.

I was looking at a finger coral today and a few other hard corals. Seems like hard corals run about hundred a pop for little stuff. Man o Man

Just what kind of hard corals are you looking at that cost 100 bucks a frag?
I have yet to see a frag for 100 bucks.Full colonies yeah,but not small pieces.

I agree with ReefKeeper. You can find nice frags for $20 to $40 usually. Sure, they are only an inch or two long, but watching them grow and expand in your tank makes you feel like you are doing something right. If you buy entire SPS colonies, those can cost several hundreds of dollars.

It's my opinion that it's too soon for you to start adding SPS corals, but there are several types of LPS corals that are hardy and would do well in a new tank. You can get frags of most LPS corals for around $20 apiece. I would recommend starting with something like frogspawn, hammer, torch, bubble coral, fox coral, or a brain coral. Those would all be good choices for a new tank and won't set you back in the triple digits.

Man the scooter eats any and everything. I just placed my sixline in about 10 min ago and hes off to the races cleaning my rocks. Same with my scooter soon as I dropped him in off to the races eating. Saltwater fish tanks rock... So glad I finally got into this hobby. With my 8 bulb nova extreme I can see my tank 3 blocks away and know its time to sit back with a cold beer and just watch the tank for hours.

Yea I am deff going to buy frags and let them grow. You have to have time for this hobby or you will fail. I am all in. Ha

Whats the best way to attach a frag to the rocks. Do I have to clue them or something?

i just read your signature ... NO SPS for you at this time !! your tank is not stable enough to keep them in the conditions that they have to have to thrive in capitivity.

on LPS frags i usually use plumbers epoxy to attach them to the rocks. for SPS (later on down the road) you can superglue them to a piece of LR rubble, and epoxy that to aq rock or just wedge it between two rocks. i use the wedge method, because i take them out of the tank when i frag them and i would go through WAAAAY to much epoxy to attach them every time i pull them out to cut them.

Like ReefKeeper said, use an epoxy putty. They carry it at LFS, but you can get it much cheaper at any hardware store, in the plumbing section. Just make sure you buy a brand that says it's safe for potable water.

Super glue gel also works. But make sure it's the gel. Regular super glue is too runny and won't work worth a crap.

A torch coral is a good idea for you. They like low to moderate flow and moderate light. They also like to be fed once in a while. Two or three times a week, I place a couple pieces of mysis shrimp on my torch's tentacles using a pair of tweezers. It keeps it happy :).

Another question about fish. I have 1 scooter 2 clowns and a sixline. What would be another good fish to add and how many more can I safely add to my tank before I am over loaded? What would be good options for a 55 with the 4 fish I already have in it?

There's no hard rule on what you can stock.Every system is different...different filtration,different skimmer,etc.Bump the live rock up another 20-30lbs and I say 7-8 total in general of the smaller reef fishes,i.e dartfish,clowns,gobies and more.

Back