Check my order please

Okay, so let's go with 10x turnover. Thats 550gph. Get a Quiet One 3000 pump. It comes with 1" threads.

Your drain lines off that box should all be 1" size. I'd probably make it simple on myself and plumb the return line in 1" as well. Same pipe and fittings everywhere instead of multiple sizes.

How will you get the sump under the stand? Do you have a clear opening in the front to slip the sump underneath? Will you drain the 55g tank and move the stand out from the wall and then install the sump from the back? If there a center divider where the doors close?

RC, I'm so glad you mentioned getting the box into the stand. I've got a drawing here of a tank that would absolutely NOT fit into the stand unless I drained my 55 gallon tank! I can make a set of smaller boxes that connect together. Thanks so much! I'll get my order in.

Catherine

What I'm thinking right now is that I've got a 'fuge started in an 18 gallon bucket. I have a spot next to my stand that I could put that bucket. I want the water to leave the tank and go to let's say the 20 gallon tank. In the tank I want to put my heater, skimmer, a small pump that would send some water out to the tub fuge (named Biffy) and something that would polish the water before returning it to my tank. You were saying that the baffles need to be a certain distance from each other?

C

I put my baffles only 1" apart and the water moves through them too fast. Space your baffles between the skimmer section and the return section about 1.5" or 2" apart.

Put a single baffle up high where the fuge dumps back into the sump. This will keep the bubbles up high and force the water down under the baffle to the sump. Simple bubble trap.

I'd try a 100GPH powerhead and some vinyl tubing to supply the fuge.

How about this?

Attachments

• CatherineSump1.jpg
    CatherineSump1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
RC, you are awesome. I'll use your plan today and see what I'm able to come up with.

Please, let me do some art for you, or do you like any of my photos? I can blow one up and mount it for you.

Oh, I ORDERED MY OVERFLOW AND RETURN PUMP! I don't know why but now I feel so empowered with my tank! Woke up this morning smiling that I've finally gotten a start on this project. WooT!

Catherine

RC, you are awesome. I'll use your plan today and see what I'm able to come up with.

Please, let me do some art for you, or do you like any of my photos? I can blow one up and mount it for you.

Oh, I ORDERED MY OVERFLOW AND RETURN PUMP! I don't know why but now I feel so empowered with my tank! Woke up this morning smiling that I've finally gotten a start on this project. WooT!

Catherine

You don't owe me anything Catherine. I am here to help my friends. :Cheers:

Let us know what you come up with. I was thinking about this last night and came up with a drawing to use multiple glass boxes under the stand if you can't get the 20g tank in there.

Ok, I'm either going to have to make my boxes OR find some tupperware containers to squeeze into the holes. I'll probably do a hybrid of these two. The cool thing about making my own boxes is that I can get something pretty big if I build it inside the cabinet. Also, I can make tall stuff which would be good if I want to add a wet/dry component. OR I can talk my husband into letting me drill a couple holes in our wall and I can use whatever I want. I think if I show him this conundrum, then he will see that drilling a hole into the wall is the obvious choice. Gee, I hope that's the case because I'd hate to have to get rid of the husband that I love and adore just because he won't like my aquarium! :grin: :mrgreen:

Catherine

David, that stuff looks complicated. Several people are saying they can't get it to seal. Is there something easier?

Catherine

Back