Check valve causing low flow rate

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

Why with a check valve i am getting low flow rate?
Should i change it to a different kind of valve to prevent backflow?

Thank you.

OK, i will explain how it's in my tanks.

The overflow from my display tank goes through a hole i drilled in the back of the tank about an inch below the top line. A pipe knee connected inside the tank to this hole and ensure that the water line will stay 1/4" below top line. On the back side there is a pipe going down to the bottom tank (2.5 gallon, the display tank is 10 gallon...) and release the water on bag full of fiber filter and activated carbon.

The sump is partitioned with a piece of acrylic with holes to release the water from one side to another.

In the side of the water fall there is crashed rocks with macro alage (Chaeto). In the other side there is the pump alone (for now, i need to add protein skimmer). The pump sending the water back to the display tank through a pipe. This pipe goes over the top, not through a hole (i didn't do a second hole), to the tank and flows the water inside.

If i won't use the check valve, when i am closing the pump it will backflow to the sump and overflow it. If i am using the check valve, the flow to the display tank is very low.

Is there a way to prevent backflow without harming the flow rate?

I think something is wrong with your checkvalve. It shouldn't restrict flow like that.

But there is something else you can do instead. Look at where the water from your sump gets returned to the tank -- that's the pipe that goes over the top to the tank, right? Drill a hole in that pipe right at the water level of your tank. That way, if a back siphon starts, it will stop as soon as air hits that hole. And since you are drilling it at water level, it will stop pretty much right away.

get a bigger sump tank. do you keep the 2.5 gallon completely full of water? i would get another 10gal and only keep it half full. sinnce your drain is at the top of the tank it will only drain to that point than you wont need a check valve.

LOL. I know, especially for me -- I've been working nights lately, but still waking up at the same time every morning because that's what my body is used to! :)

To drill the hole is a simple thing, but where should i point this return line to?
I mean, i will need, probably, to connect a pipe to this new hole and point it somewhere...

Here is an example. Wherever your return line enters the tank, just drill a hole right at the water line. You don't need to do anything else.

47_Return_2.jpg

lol... OK, i got it... I thought the hole should be in the outside... :mrgreen:

You are genius... Thank you both for helping solve this.

I like to drill two holes, one on each side, just in case a snail wants to get freaky with one of them by parking over it. :D

Back