Chem Pure Elite

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
Check out this link:
Marine Solutions Online Store

Them's some mighty big claims (most especially no water changes for 5 years)...

Any thoughts from members on this product? My specific question is:

How long does it REALLY last before it should be replaced? I used it for about 5 weeks and changed it out to a phosphate sponge - and noticed a big difference in how quickly algae accumulated...

You will still need to either do water changes to replenish the trace minerals that are used up or dose all those trace minerals which IMO would be a bigger expense and head ache than just doing the water changes

Brian

That stuff sounds like it's the miracle stuff we've all been looking for. No water changes NEVER and fish live longer! Wow!

Wonder if it works on humans? I gotta get me some.

Maybe I missed something... But is it an additive powder or liquid... or some type of filled pouch that you put in a filter or skimmer? Yote mentioned changing it out every two weeks, that's what's making me think it's the latter?

Also, 5 years with no water changes seems crazy. I'd want a heck of a lot more information on that "study" before I even considered the idea of skipping out on my water changes! I get fidgety when I skip just one.

Its crushed carbon. I've used it for a year and its good. Despite the directions you do need to rinse it. I've wonderd if I can just take cheap carbon, crush it a little, rinse it and use that. Dr Foster Smith recommends it.

Well,Sen is pretty close to what Chemi-Pure Elite it.
Its basically just crushed up carbon and granulated ferric oxide all in one pouch.And it is pretty dang expensive.
When I used it,I'd run it for 2 weeks,then pull it out of the sump,rinse,and let it air dry.But I kept 2 pouches on hand and just swapped them out.
Its not a cure all,but it'll help if your having phosphate problems.

I've had great success with this so far with my BioCube.

I take a media bag and lay it over the bio-ball/gas exchange area in the back - phosphates went to zero and it helped drop my nitrates a little; the little bit of tank smell I had went away.

Generally works 'as advertised' for me...

Does this stuff come wet? I used some yesterday and the pouch was completely soaked, as if it had been used before. :grumble:

A chemists' cheaper solution: buy black carbon, scrape the rust off a rusty nail, grind together in a mortar & pestle. I hate when companies charge so much for essentially common materials. However, I found on this website that the composition is carbon and ion exchange resins, which is just a piece of plastic that's capable of trading out bad ions (IE, phosphates, nitrites/nitrates, maybe copper-- but if it does copper than it'll also remove calcium and magnesium and stuff) with hydrogen, or some other "benign" ion. It's strange to me that they claim no change in pH, 'cause if you add hydrogen ion to water, it will definitely drop the pH. hmm. :scratchch

Also, I note that they were talking about freshwater systems immediately prior to saying no water changes... probably weren't referring to saltwater systems, where the nutrients have to be replenished.

Works great as a filtration product but could never keep you from not doing PWC`s. It does nothing for adding trace elements back into the system. That`s why that claim about never having to do PWC`s will never fly.

Ya theres a site that took one apart. Its a pvc tube with magnets taped on it. Then put inside another tube. The tape was electrical tape the tubes common pvc from home depot. Nothing else to it.

Back