Chemical filtration ????

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
if you have a sump with refugium does anyone use any kinfd of chemical filtration for any organics that may get into your tank like those pads (poly filters)??? just wondering if i should be using anything in conjuction with my semp/refugium

what form is this and how is it used in the sump??? and does it remove any of the trace elements and supplements important for a reef??point me in the right direction

Last edited:
is this run all the time??? and ok for reef?? you just load it up with the carbon and ferric oxide?? how big is it so i can see if i have enough room in my sump whats the diameter and height ?do you have a pic of yours so i can see it filled with media? thanks

Last edited:
Yes, it's run 24/7. I only run GFO in mine. I use 4-5 tbsp and change it 1x per month. The reactor is about 12" tall and 3"-4" in diameter, but it's a hob style so only the pump and return line will be in the water. The pump has a 3"x4" footprint...maybe even a little smaller. Yes, its very reef safe. If you want to run both GFO and GAC I would buy 2 reactors. I tried to run both GFO and GAC in the same reactor and it didn't work out too well. Sorry, I don't have a pic of mine running. I'm sure Larry has a pic that he might be able to show off.

Last edited:
whats the difference running the gfo or gac witch is better to run?? and what does it exacly do ?? removes metals organics and other toxins, will it affect my chaeto?

Last edited:
I use 4-5 tablespoons total. I have a 29g dt w/ 10g fuge. I only had very minimal phosphates in my tank so I don't need to run a lot of GFO. You definitely don't need to fill the reactor. Larry has a 125g tank and 55g fuge and only fills his reactor about 1/3 full. It doesn't take much to clean up the phosphates. I could probably get away with running a little less since my chaeto is at full capacity right now.

The secret with GFO is to make sure its tumbling gently inside the reactor. If it doesn't tuble it will turn into one solid piece of mud basically and clog up. You can't really tumble the GFO if there is a lot of it in the reactor.

You may want to PM Ccapt and he can let you know exactly how much to use per gallon. He wont have any issues helping you out.

i cant get the calculator to work it keeps saying error on page , can someone see if it works and let me know the numbers, i have a 90 gal tank with a 30 gal sump but with all the live rock taking up space i assume i have about 110 gal of water how much carbon and gfo i need to run?? thanks

i cant get the calculator to work it keeps saying error on page , can someone see if it works and let me know the numbers, i have a 90 gal tank with a 30 gal sump but with all the live rock taking up space i assume i have about 110 gal of water how much carbon and gfo i need to run?? thanks

It worked for me. For your tank it says you'll need to use approx 1.5 cups of GFO in your reactor. I estimated your total water volume to be around 100 gallons due to water displacement from rock and sand.

It said that I should be using almost 8 tbsp's for my tank. I use a little less than that and it works fine.

The specific media reactor I sent in that link is listed as a dual media reactor so you can technically run both in there. I did try to run both in there and it didn't work well at all and was more of a PITA than anything. That's why I recommended to run dual reactors if you plan on running both. I think it doesn't work well because the flow requirements for each material is different. Mine seemed to gunk up and now flow well.

if i run both carbon and gfo i know you said i can run the gfo 24/7 how about the carbon i read a few things about not running it all the time because it will remove trace elements that the coral need you know anything about that??

I run both in the reactor. I use aprox 1 cup of GFO and 1 cup of ROX carbon and change both every month.

gac-gfo.jpg

ok so you can run both ?? in the same reactor , it looks like you have them seperated some how?? please explain do you have an extra difuser plate and sponge to make 2 seperate chambers in it to keep the media sepearate. and do you also run the stuff from bulk reef supply??? you also run it 24/7 in a reef tank correct? and whats prefered running on bottom and top any difference

sorry for so many questions but id like to get this right the first time before i kill anything.

Last edited:
Back