chemical warfare

I personally don't think it will work..I tried that algaecide before, and it barely gets rid of the algae, so dinos will not be impacted by the stuff, seeing that they are considered a bacteria. But hey, it doesn't hurt to try, we might be surprised.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...I think, because of their symbiotic bond with corals, anything that would kill dinos will kill my corals.

I don't really know what else to do...

ask yote his recomendation, he had dinos before.

He told me he blacked out his tank completely for a week....
I don't have a QT to put my corals in to avoid shocking them.

I've heard differing opinion on water changes; whether to do them, or not do them to avoid introducing new nutrients.

I actually blacked my tank out for something like 14 days.I also kept the PH extremely high by dripping kalk 24/7.

I had it in my head,then when I lit my tank back up.If the dinos were still there,or came back,to take what was left of my corals and fish out and dump in a gallon of bleach.

I blakced out for like 5 days - turned the lights on and did 50% water changes for 3 days.

Black out again for 5 days. - turned the lights on and did 50% water changes for 3 days.

I don't remember how many times I did that. It might have been 3 times. It killed off a lot of hair algae and turf algae. About 90% and I got the rest under control with new lights.

Have you tried new bulbs? Old bulbs will throw out bad colors and can encourage algae growth.

The black out kills the algae and turns it into dissolved organic waste in the water.

Thats why I did massive water changes. You have to REMOVE those dissolved organics or they will just fuel more algae growth as soon as you turn the lights back on.

Yes, a skimmer can help, but I still think water changes are the most important part of a black out. If you're not prepared to do big water changes - then don't bother.

No, it will not kill your corals. It's not sunny 365 days a year on the reef. Tropical storms move through and black out the natural reefs for a week at a time.

Back