Chemiclean

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

Can i safely use Chemiclean to solve my red slime algae (Cyno) problem?
I did all the other options, lighting change, feeding and lighting time reducing, RO system using, water changes every week, cleaning the sand... It's crazy!!!

My filter is a sump with Chaeto algae, small bag of Activated Carbon and filter fiber.

Thank you.

No, because while it may solve the immeidate problem, unless you determine the source of the problem it will only come back

Not only that, but some of it will likely survive, and it can develop an immunity to chemical removal

While things like flow and lighting can contribute to cyano issues, ultimately every algae problem comes down to nutrient export. Too many nutrients are going in, and not enough are coming out

What are your tests results for nitrates and phosphates? Were you using tap water before RO? If so, for how long. Need more info about your system to help here - give us the kitchen sink

I was using tap water for about 4 months and then it's about 1-1.5 months with weekly water changes of RO filtered water.

The tests showing: PH - 8.0, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 0.

I don't have the Phosphate test kit yet, i will buy it today.

there really arent any reliable phosphate kits, so dont bother spending the money on one. If you have algae problems, you also have phosphate issues.

Well, switching to RO helped, it will take time for the phosphates to be removed via water changes. You could potentially look at setting up a GFO recactor or adding some macro algae to your tank

What are you feeding, how much, and how often? Most flake and pellet foods are very high in phosphates, and some frozen foods are as well (and need to be rinsed before being fed to the tank)

As for the macro algae, i have the Chaeto in my sump. The sump is 2 weeks old...

I am feeding frozen food once a day. One day brine shrimp and one day mysis shrimp.
The frozen piece sitting for 2 minutes in a water and then i am throwing the water.

You may want to rinse the frozen. And personally - once your brine is gone I wouldn't replace it. I would feed mysis all the time. I would also (based on what fish you have) cut that down to feeding once every other day

I've used chemiclean many times and sometimes I have even over-dosed the tank with it and it never caused problems BUT don't over-dose. Maybe I just got lucky. Like the others said you need to deal with the root cause. Chemiclean is a temporary fix.

Phosphates will make Cyano spread like crazy --moreso than nitrates. Deal with your phosphates!

Back