chichimom79's 10 Gallon

If you're going to get one, make sure you get this one: http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_D...quariums-Marine_Depot-MD2103-FITEOPRF-vi.html or one of the Vital Sine, (the best, but $100+), ones that Dr. Fosters carries. Guess they're the only ones that read actual seawater and are more accurate. I'm ordering a new one monday. If you want, I can send you my Captive Purity one, you'll just need some calibrating fluid for it.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. I sent you a private message.

I picked up a 20 lb. bag of Hawaiian Black LS. I am so scared to put it in there. Should I take the clowns out first and put them in a bucket or is that more stressful than a little cloudy water. What if it creates a cycle? What do you all recommend? :dunno:

the sand a good rinse first. Put it in a bucket and let the water run into the bucket while stirring the sand. Do this until the water comes off clean. Then put into the tank. Fishies will be fine.

i personally cannot believe that stuff is actually live. Who knows how long ago it was bagged, who knows what kind of conditions it has been kept in etc. I think they just put the live tag on there so they can charge more.

But if you really want to keep that "live" stuff, then just put it right in but its going to be very cloudy for a few days/weeks.

I just didnt want to kill a bunch of bacteria and then throw it in the tank is all.
I just dont want to start any kind of cycle. I've never had such a small SW tank. I want to make damn sure I am doing what's best for my livestock :)

I added a bag of "Live sand" to my 46g just the other week and had no issue. I used a small cup and did it scoop by scoop as slowly as i could. Just had a lil cloudiness. My params didnt move. And if they did move on you a little you could always just do a little water change.

If you do decide to add a bag or two which i think you should. It just looks way better and because of the good things a sand bed does for your aquarium. If somehow that rock fell onto the bottom of your tank id shit a brick, but maybe thats just me.....a sand bed would cushin the fall.....anywho, last word of advice coz i was prolly a lil smoked out at the time, wait till your water level goes down a little, then add the bag. I have an ATO and really didnt think of it and after the bag was in i was close to overflowing ha. Nice start! *cheers"

I used the same brand of live sand when I set up my 29g. I personally do believe its live. I could see all the little critters living in it at night time and mine was only cloudy for a couple days until it all settled. I don't think it will make your tank cycle. You should be just fine. What you could do is get a pvc pipe long enough to stick out of the water and then pour the sand in the tube. That way it doesn't go all over and your tank won't get very cloudy. Doesn't have to be pvc, can be anything. I used the blender top for the magic bullet.

I added a bag of "Live sand" to my 46g just the other week and had no issue. I used a small cup and did it scoop by scoop as slowly as i could. Just had a lil cloudiness. My params didnt move. And if they did move on you a little you could always just do a little water change.

If you do decide to add a bag or two which i think you should. It just looks way better and because of the good things a sand bed does for your aquarium. If somehow that rock fell onto the bottom of your tank id shit a brick, but maybe thats just me.....a sand bed would cushin the fall.....anywho, last word of advice coz i was prolly a lil smoked out at the time, wait till your water level goes down a little, then add the bag. I have an ATO and really didnt think of it and after the bag was in i was close to overflowing ha. Nice start! *cheers"

Hahahaha! I remember this day.

Found this last night. Am I correct in assuming this is brittlestar legs? :bounce:
001-1.jpg

The sand is in. The light turned off right after I got it in and it was a tiny bit cloudy. Pics tomorrow. :D

I am disappointed that the LS is so chunky, but it still looks way better than the bare bottom. Went well putting it in- got a bit cloudy but it cleared up fast. I worried for naught, but that's what I do best ;)
017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

013.jpg

Back