chichimom79's 60 gallon cube

My hood is done today! I will have a light again after I go pick it up! So exciting! LOL Then I can start dealing with the algae issue. Fun fun!
I think I have a final fish stocking plan. In order: a blenny of some kind (suggestions?), a pair of some kind of reef-safe wrasse(suggestions?), a green mandarin(after I find one eating frozen food well), and the fearsome maroon clowns. :D
Any thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:
I hate to sound like a broken record, but my vote is for the Midas Blenny. Really colorful, very active, great personality, and a fairly good-sized fish that won't get lost in a 60 gallon cube (unlike my red jewel nano blenny that is about 1.5 inches long and a master of hiding). I like the striped blenny too, but I have no experience with those, positive or negative. They are pretty, but for all I know, they may spend their entire lives hiding under a rock.

Thanks fast and Samhain.

I think I will go with the Midas Blenny. Thanks for the suggestion.

Been looking at a Line-spot Flasher Wrasse. Anyone have experience with this fish?

Just learned that I need to have a piece of tempered glass between my HQI bulb and the water because of harmful UV?
What does this do to the inhabitants? All I have in there is two astraea snails, one margarita snail, about eight tiny nassarius snails, and two emerald crabs. Will they be okay? Or should I leave the light off until I get a piece of glass to put in the hood? I'm not really sure the best way to go about putting the glass in there, either...especially since I added the two fans on either side of the reflector. I'll take some pics tonight so you can see the inside of my hood for more specific suggestions :)

I like that barnacle cluster....+1 on getting some b.blennies!!!! I think tha cuc will be fine as long as that can hide if irritated by the light. Nice cube!!!

Last edited:
Thanks chuck! I am actually going to go with a midas blenny.

Any advice on putting a piece of glass in here?
028-2.jpg

And how far away from the bulb does the glass need to be?

Got a good ninja pic of the red emerald crab
002-5.jpg

and can someone ID this for me. I saw it open and close this morning. I didn't know it was alive :P
013-3.jpg

Hard to tell, but it looks to be an abalone attached to the rock. I have about 20+ on my LR. They filter feed like a clam/muscle & they can get bigger if they survive. FYI they eat phyto.

Alrighty then. Can't wait to have to keep that glass clean...
I should upgrade to LED's now and save myself the hassle. LOL... I wish

Ya, for the small tank, it was different. I like the PAR 38 bulb. For the main tank, I'd like to wait and see them fine tune the technology a little.

I have successfully starved out the algae bloom in the tank and it's looking really good! The Reefkeeper Lite came back to me, this time functional, and that is going well also! Also got the glass to go under my halides. :D I am on the hunt for my Midas Blenny. If I can't find the one I want for a while, I may start out with a healthy green mandarin. I have tons of pods and with it being the only thing in the tank, I could baby it a little getting it doing well on frozen. Those are my thoughts anyway....any thoughts from you all?

Hurray!

It would be really hard to teach a mandarine to eat frozen in that big of tank. If you do want to attempt to teach one, I would set it up in a QT tank.

Back