Chillers

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I live in Florida, and it gets pretty hot here. I was wondering if I needed a chiller for my 46 gallon aquarium...

During winter, I can keep the tank at 78-80 degrees, but in summer it can go up to 84-86 degrees. What do you all think?

84-86 is too hot, but there might be better options than a chiller. A fan aimed across the top will lower the temp by as much as 10 degrees. You can also freeze RODI water and toss a cube in your tank. Sometimes just keeping a ceiling fan on in the room will do the trick

I have a ceiling fan in the room, but it's not enough. I think I might try a normal fan aimed on the tank. I hate how EXPENSIVE the stupid chillers are!

Agreed. an $8.99 clip on fan from Walmart (maybe 2) can do wonders for your tank's temp. Evaporative processes are the most efficient and natural ways to cool water. The frozen RO is a good idea too. If you have a sump, you can add a fan there too.

My tank runs around 82 to 84 year round :( I don't have a chiller. I won't get a chiller either. Chillers remove the heat from the tank and release it into the environment (the room). So you then have to work harder to cool the room. They are expensive too!

Having a fan blowing across the water will drop the temp by a lot. Try that first. At least then you're only out $10 if it doesn't work.

Back