Chip in sump fatal??

Murph

Reefing newb
So I was doing some work on the space that's going to house my 120 and was dry fitting the sump and making sure I'd have clearance for getting the skimmer in and out and managed to chip my 40g breeder sump. No idea how it happened, but I found the glass chip on the floor so I'm sure I did it :frustrat:. Anyway, i'm not worried about how it looks, but was wondering if I should junk it. I got it on sale at petco's dollar per gallon sale, so I'll be out 40 bucks which is probably best case scenario for ruining a tank. Finding the sale going on again will be a pain, but that's life. I'm attempting to attach 2 pics... I filled it up with water after the chip and left it for a bit and it didn't leak, but I don't want to worry about it long term. Anyone kept a tank running with a chip like this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 515
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 527
Since it didnt leak when you tried it out I would just try to reinforce it with silicone sealant for aquariums. Fill it up and let it sit for a few days and see how it does.

Thanks.... I'll load it up with some sealant and let it sit with water for a week or two to test and let it rip.

My 75 has a chip similar to that in it. It's had it since day one and my tanks been fine. I think you'll be ok. In case you do want to wait, petco has has that $1 sale three times in the past 6 months or so, they're bound to have another one soon.

Thanks all... I'll just add a little extra silicone and go with it. If it was the display I'd be more worried, but that section won't even be full so it'll never even have a full load on it.

Back