Chiton Explosion

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
A year ago I noticed a little white chiton --maybe a quarter to a half inch in length. Last night, I turn on the moonlight LEDs and they are all over the place. Yeah! These unique creatures will eat algae that nobody else eats. I've seen'em eat the thin hard layer of green algae that you get on rock. I'll try to get pics..

Chitons are in red squares. By the way no one has ever been able to identify the green polyps you see on the upper right.

chitons_896x768.png

Oooh I have those exact same green polyps! I got them from Alex E. (Parrotchute). They grow just like yours too -- with lots of space in between each polyp.

reefcleaners sells them occasionally. I've ordered them a few times but, can't seem to get them to live more than a couple weeks. Congrats on your success!!

Wow I wouldnt have even known that was a creature! Do they move much?

The chitons come out at night only and move very slowly but you can see them move.. All my filter feeders have done very well. Leaving some cruddy particles in the water is a good thing. A lot of particles come out of my fuge. Water leaving my fuge goes thru the pads below which are fairly porous. Point being I do not filter my water till its crystal clear.

images

Back