choosing inverts

Rockyreiter

Reefing newb
im trying to find some inverts to add to my tank but id like to know what would be ok to have with a feather duster (i have noticed my hermit picking on it at times but for the most part he leaves it alone)

so far emerald crabs and cleaner shrimp have been my favorite but im not completely sure.

any imput?

Cleaner's are fine as are most shrimp (a few are not), emerald's fine (as are several crabs some though again are not), nemes fine depending on setup. Just look for the "reef friendly" tag, and ask for anything you might question as a suspicious add.

Emeralds and cleaner shrimp would be fine. Also check out blood (fire) shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Some starfish too -- brittle, fromia or serpent stars would be good.

ive had a starfish in the past, but i took him out of my tank because at the time i was planning on getting an anemone and another clown for it. yet when i was going to get it i realized my light isnt good enough for one and i didnt want to spend that much money on one just yet. i dont really miss having it though so i dont think ill get another.

the blood shrimp does look pretty cool!
but i also have to think about my dwarf lionfish. im finding things that say they dont go well with shrimp.

what other kinds of hardy crabs could i get besides an mithrax?

What does an anemone and clown have to do with starfish? There are plenty of reef safe starfish you can keep.

Reef safe crabs are pretty hard to come by. You could try a porcelain or pom pom crab.

My favorite cleaner so far is my Tuxedo Sea Urchin. It is really good at cleaning algae off the rocks and may have helped to spread my coraline. The con for them is that they like some other big cleaners can knock stuff over. I paid $12 for mine and its white inside with beautiful purple spines. Here's a google pic of a tuxedo.

Biff is correct.Brittle and serpent stars are just about a must have in a reef tank.And I have never seen either one of those try to eat an anemone.However I did see an anemone eat serpent star.

my friend has a brittle star in his tank.. im not really too big of a fan of them :/

i think i might get a porcelain crab and a cleaner shrimp :)

(just because my name states that im a noob at reefkeeping doesnt really mean it, i ran out of usernames)if you choose a brittle choose the leopard looking serpent starfish, plus a harmless invertebrate would be a flame scallop. keep this in mind, the smoother the starfish appears its probably gonna be reef safe. if its rough looking or full of thorns it's most likely gonna eat corals or anything it can catch( including scallops, sea cucumbers, etc. ) DON'T buy a mantis shrimp! it will eat everything it can get, ( almost anything ) even crustaceans, if your tank is covered in algae, then the linckia is a great choice, dont buy conch's, if your fish keep dying, you should buy a serpent starfish, they are great scavengers and are the least predatory of the brittles. it will hide under rocks and will go "fishing" for any food that floats by. flame scallops need lots of plankton (just like feather duster worms) and can place it almost any where. if you place it on the sandbed it will most likely move to a new spot. if you have a large tank, a sea apple is a beautiful animal that you can keep, it's a filter feeder and may eat any frozen shrimp. it likes being in the current because it can receive the most amount of food, but if gets too stressed, it can release dangerous toxins that can kill your whole tank( i learned from experience ). a nudibranch feeds on corals( mostly sponges ) so not a good choice. i haven't had a clam or oyster yet, but don't get them while your still a new aquarium owner. most lobsters are good while they're under 5 inches. if a hermit crab is really big, then they will eat or attack your corals and slow moving animals. :question:any questions?

I have seen hermit crabs the size of tennis balls. My old hermit crab, Claude, was the size of a golf ball before he died. I think that's the size where they can get large enough to start hunting.

hermits are dangerous little buggers. most people here don't suggest keeping them at all! snails do a far better job so stock up on them. i have 2 sfarfish, 2 urchins long spine and thick spine. red line cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimps. probably afew other things I've forgotten about but they look good and all are reef safe. also cleaner shrimps are fun. mine cleans my hand when it goes in and follows me. sometimes shocks me when i forget he does that while I'm doing water changes though! lol. wow, long post on my phone. hope there isn't too many spelling errors!

There ain't nothing with a few small pea sized hermit crabs. Besides they're fun to watch and they're cute.

I've got to second this. The first thing my dwarf hermits did was move into shells way too big for them, now its fun to watch them fall off the rock because they can't maneuver in their big shells.

Back