Chronic Low Alk

I switched to Oceanic and it's giving me trouble on keeping the pH above 8.0 though. Instant Ocean always keep my pH over 8.5 and I had a hard time lowering it. lol

I just ordered another Instant Ocean to mix with my Oceanic. Hope they'll balance out.

Just mix em 1:1 and it should balance out.
I never had any trouble with a lower PH from Oceanic.Its always been about right for em.
Of course now,my PH is staying right 8.5 with a mix of the seachem and Oceanic.So I may keep mixing it that way.

Alk up one to 5 from 4 dkh. PH 8.3. That alk just won't come up!

I've tried a series of four 15-20% changes with Oceanic
Tried dosing with Seachem marine buffer
And Tuesday night a 40% change out with coralife

Alk barely rose in all cases. I'm really thinking the test is bad (thx bifferwine).

Very high cal and mag. Ph perfect. Water changes big and small. Dosing. It still just doesn't make sense. My next step is to do more water changes with the Coralife and get a LPS test of alk.

sounds like a bad test kit your numbers are brob really out of wack with all the changes you have done in a short amount of time. get a new test kit and check with that.

To Reef Moderator----Larry, Very interesting explanation on ALK. What I did was to experiment to keep the costs low, and learn whilst doing it. I am far from your level, but I enjoy it when someone who really understands submits something that ordinary Joe Bloggs can understand. I obtained a tub of Bicarbonate [ 22g for £O-80] and baked it for 1hr at 300*F. I now have carbonate. I mixed it in varying proportions, untill when added to the experimental tank I have, the Ph remained the same whilst raising the ALK to various levels. I also use Calcium Hydroxide or Chloride [when available] as a stock solution too. [ this I buy for £2 for 2kg] So the effort works many ways. I just thought you'd like to know this. Regards.

I like Tropic Marin Salt as it has a high buffering capacity to help maintain Alkalinity. Their Pro Reef salt is useful in situations when you want to lower Alkalinity. I also buffer with TM Triple Buffer to keep both my pH and Alkalinity very stable.

Back